SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My friend finally got his car running well again, so we played around with my G-Tech 1/4 mile timer tonight. Many people don't believe in these things, but when I took it to the track a few years ago it was within .10 of a second or 1mph on the three runs I did. Keep in mind, this is dependent upon the conditions.

Car: 07 T5 AWD S40
Mods:
Elevate tune
Elevate intake manifold
Elevate FMIC
Elevate 3'' DP
Eurosport catback
Cone filter
19" Rotiforms (not a performance mod per say, but will effect performance)

Run 1:
14.8 @90mph 2.1 60'
Launched at 2k

Run 2:
[email protected] 2.0 60'
Launched at 3k

Both runs--Terribly disappointing for how much money is invested into the car. I looked over the stats (0-20,40,60,80, etc) and it took 3.5 seconds to get from 70-80mph when all previous 10mph gaps were around 2 seconds. Do these cars REALLY fall on their faces or is there still issues with the car?

For comparison, we did a first gear roll race vs my mk6 GTI (2.0t direct injection w/ turboback exhaust running stock tune). I pulled 1 car on him by the top of fourth. On the way home, I did a G-Tech run, got a pretty bad launch and ran [email protected] with a 2.18 60'. This is a pretty bad run considering i've gotten around 14.4-5 before at around 96.

Any insight?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You need a Down Pipe and an Exhaust...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
perhaps he sucks at shifting :D

on a serious note**...tires could be a huge factor if he is looking at some good numbers....

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
FWD would have been the better choice if performance was what you're after. They're known to be at least half a second quicker to 60 mph in stock form. Sh|t, Kyle pulled a 14.5 on a basically stock FWD. AWD is no fun...until winter rolls around.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say so if it wasn't awd. It doesn't spin, just chirps the tires on launch and into second. Shifting is on spot and definitely not killing his time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
to compare a little here is mine:
FWD
Stock
18" heavy ass rims.

15.2 with a 2.4 60ft

Why was the launch so ****ty with awd???
get that down under a 2.0 which should be no problem, and the time should improve alot.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He could probably cut a 1.8 60' if he launched at 4500+ but the clutch doesn't like it. Even if he shaves 2/10s he still going to be in the 14s.
It's sad to see the amount of money invested in this car and still be running in the 14s. I think it will be getting parted out and sold soon to move into a platform that responds better to mods.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Well this website is showing stock 06 awd t5 running 14.9 http://www.torquestats.com/index.php?car_id=482

So with all those mods I would think it will dip in the 13s? no? Maybe his tune is not responding well? I used to have a v6 firebird as a daily that ran 15.4. Let me just say my stock t5 awd would rape that car.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well this website is showing stock 06 awd t5 running 14.9 http://www.torquestats.com/index.php?car_id=482

So with all those mods I would think it will dip in the 13s? no? Maybe his tune is not responding well? I used to have a v6 firebird as a daily that ran 15.4. Let me just say my stock t5 awd would rape that car.
yeah you guys either have a problem with your measuring device, or something is wrong with the car. My car ran13.9 without FMIC on good tire in automatic

·
Registered
127 Posts
Checked if the car is throwing codes? Maybe ignition related? Idk what to say. :confused:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
that car should be at least 1 second faster. i say throw the stock airbox back in and see what times you pull.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That 70 - 80mph time should not be 3.5s. That's just worse than stock. I 2nd the airbox replacement, and possibly installing a boost gauge to see if there is a TCV or CBV malfunction. If it is a stock CBV, then that could be the culprit.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah you guys either have a problem with your measuring device, or something is wrong with the car. My car ran13.9 without FMIC on good tire in automatic
Gtech isn't dead accurate i'm sure, but his car should pull atleast two on my GTI with stock tune, not lose by 1.

Checked if the car is throwing codes? Maybe ignition related? Idk what to say. :confused:
No CEL. Was getting misfire codes before but it felt good during the runs last night.

that car should be at least 1 second faster. i say throw the stock airbox back in and see what times you pull.
Will add this to the to-do list...

That 70 - 80mph time should not be 3.5s. That's just worse than stock. I 2nd the airbox replacement, and possibly installing a boost gauge to see if there is a TCV or CBV malfunction. If it is a stock CBV, then that could be the culprit.
TCV and CBV are both brand new and have less than 200 miles on them.

He's considering just parting it out and selling it for a s60R at this point. Can someone else do a video of their tuned car WOT from around 10mph-100mph (safely of course). I'd like to see how they compare.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
He's considering just parting it out and selling it for a s60R at this point. Can someone else do a video of their tuned car WOT from around 10mph-100mph (safely of course). I'd like to see how they compare.
Hmm...I would have him think twice about that. The price he spent on performance parts on this car will be spent on possible repairs on the R. Some R guys might be able to chime in on that, but I've heard that they are quite costly with the maintenance and upkeep. If he really wants to part it out and sell it, have him pick up a C30 and at least most of the parts can be re-used on it. It's a lighter car and is FWD...I have a buddy who has one with pretty much the same mods as your friend's S40 and it's damn quick.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Can someone else do a video of their tuned car WOT from around 10mph-100mph (safely of course). I'd like to see how they compare.
my office is in souderton. hit me up if he wants to meet up some time and take a spin in the V....

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Just out of sheer curiosity I would take it to the track and run it. Not discrediting the Gtech but like mentioned with my FMIC and an open filter on the stock intake I ran consecutive 14.5's. I would have guessed u would be in the 13's easy.

I wouldn't switch out for an R honestly. May be worth finding a local master tech who is cool to comb over the car for potential bugs and then maybe a dyno pull or two to confirm potential power loss.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just out of sheer curiosity I would take it to the track and run it. Not discrediting the Gtech but like mentioned with my FMIC and an open filter on the stock intake I ran consecutive 14.5's. I would have guessed u would be in the 13's easy.

I wouldn't switch out for an R honestly. May be worth finding a local master tech who is cool to comb over the car for potential bugs and then maybe a dyno pull or two to confirm potential power loss.
I'm putting a k04 upgrade on my GTI tomorrow, so hopefully i'll get to the track by the end of the season and make him come. I told him to steer away from the R, although there is a very nice one for sale by my house...

He was interested in the K16 before but what would that net him? Maybe a mid-high 13? It won't be a cheap upgrade considering his clutch probably wouldn't hold the power.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts