SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

My right wheel started being a knocking machine. On every low+ road bump I hear loud and deaf knocking. It is very similiar to an exhaust pipe knock, when wrongly fastened. On every bump I do a scared face right before hearing that.

I have been on diagnostic station, they've used shredders(?) and tested absorbers efficiency, which turned out to be almost 80% efficient.
They have not found any problematic part while checking.

Have someone been in similiar situation? What part could probably cause this problem?
Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check your sway bar end links.

They have a tendency to come loose, and even the slightest play will sound like the car is coming apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your description is a perfect match for the right-hand/passenger-side engine mount needing to be replaced. When it fails you have metal banging on metal with every bump. I replaced mine at about 95-100K miles after experiencing the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Strut mount is a common source of suspension knock. Also lower control arm bushings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for the tips!

Your description is a perfect match for the right-hand/passenger-side engine mount needing to be replaced. When it fails you have metal banging on metal with every bump. I replaced mine at about 95-100K miles after experiencing the symptoms you describe.
Regarding the engine mount - some time ago I gave a look on exactly this one and it seemed to be really old.

In some @volvoNB topic about how to replace it, right after someone questioned him what was happening, he wrote:
I replaced my mount because it was making a rattling noise when going over bumps. It started a long time ago and got progressively worse over time. It reached a point that when I turn right it made what sounded like a grinding noise.
I underlined the thing I also realized I have, it started to happen little before having the solid knocking noise. I'll try to find this part. [31262676]

BTW The problem is really noisy and noticeable ATM. I realized I had the problem for a long time and It just turned out to be in the worst condition now.

Source: https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...How-to-replace-top-passenger-side-motor-mount

/////////////////

Edit: Okay, I have just listened to the recording he gave for the rattling on bumps noise and it's totally different. I will record mine and post here soon.
Also there is a problem with engine shaking at lower gears, when pressing clutch etc. There is almost no way to drive this car smooth and gently. This would point to mounts too.. Stay tuned guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts