SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A company perk for senior managers was a company car. They gave us a budget and let us buy whatever we wanted. I chose a fully loaded 2005 S40.

After a couple years I changed jobs and was scheduled to return the car on a Friday. Tuesday or Wednesday of that same week I was driving to work in the suburbs of Buffalo, NY.

Growing up here, everyone I know has hit a deer. They are that common. No predators and an overabundance of vegetation led to a population explosion.

Driving to work that morning I hit a deer. This was not your usual accident where you have a split second of "uh oh" feeling. THis was a complete and total suprise and shock. I never saw it coming. It was like a stun grenade went off in my lap and I was disoriented and didn't even know what happened.

Deer accidents are no minor matter. Deer can weigh well over a hundred (or two hundred) pounds. Hitting a 200 pound sandbag at 45 MPH is really dangerous.

Well this deer broadsided me right in the drivers window (I literally was cleaning glass shards out of my underwear), then apparently flipped over the hood and collapsed into my windshield.

My car never even shuddered - I went into rigid controlled descent mode and slowed the car to the side of the road. It never even lost control or even "flinched".

When my wife got there to pick me up on the side of the road her first words were "We're buying another Volvo".

True story - every bit of it

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
WOW, I totally believe this story. I have seen what a deer can do to a car and i do believe that if you were in any other car, you would not have fared so well.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Pics!

I freakin' hate deer. I hit one on my dirt bike doing about 60mph. Split it in half, LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts