SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have hit the infamous 11,000 mark on the odometer and it looks like new brake pads are in my future-- gee, did not see that coming since every week the wheels were covered with more brake dust that my old care would get in a year!!! <P>I was wondering if anyone knew of a good pad that would not leave the terrible dust? I am not so much into the performance (providing I can stop efficiently) if I can get rid of that dust! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stumpf2000:<BR><B>Well, I have hit the infamous 11,000 mark on the odometer and it looks like new brake pads are in my future-- gee, did not see that coming since every week the wheels were covered with more brake dust that my old care would get in a year!!! <P>I was wondering if anyone knew of a good pad that would not leave the terrible dust? I am not so much into the performance (providing I can stop efficiently) if I can get rid of that dust! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I just purchased a front and rear set of the MINTEX pads from IPD (ipdusa.com--1-800-444-6473)on their recommendation and test-car use, whereby they claim that this product does not throw the amont of dust/the OE Volvo pads, and STILL give the same and MORE stopping power of the OE pads. <P>Do call or web contact, as there is a sale of the above parts on till 7/19/2002.<P>

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
I am considering replacing the factory pads with the IPD Mintex. Any updates to report based on your usage so far? Performance, dusting, etc?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just bought a front & back set of Mintex Redbox's for my S40. I was planning to install just the rears over the weekend, so by the end of the next week I'll take photos of the difference on brake dust between stock fronts and mintex rears.

·
Registered
33 Posts
To do the rears, you need a tool to spin the brake piston as you apply pressure to it at the same time. This is what I use<BR> <A HREF="http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732" TARGET=_blank>http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732</A> <P>I've done it before on other cars using a c-clamp and some patience, but the brake line is so short on my S40 that I dunno where the clamp would go if I were to do it. The c-clamp technique also requires a lot more care to make sure you don't puncture the rubber hood.<P>The tool is really worth it (albeit the price has gone up quite a bit over the last few years). it takes less than a minute to push back the rear piston with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts