SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to troubleshoot a power service urgent message that just came up on my cluster. The problem presented itself after disconnecting the battery for a few days, reconnecting, and starting up. There’s typically a 30 second delay from turning the car on to the message/warning lights popping up.

I’ve read this is typically related to alternator issues. However, the fact that it popped up right after disconnecting my battery made me question this. My OBDII is showing ~13.1V under engine load and is not really draining over time. I don’t have any diagnostic trouble codes either.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The alternator failure can produce intermittent symptoms. My battery warning light would come on for a few minutes and then go off until my next drive and do it again. It became more frequent until it was on constantly and the battery was discharging. I had another just fail without warning. Still another failed in a way that it produced an over voltage and I got a Stop Driving Immediately message.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The alternator failure can produce intermittent symptoms. My battery warning light would come on for a few minutes and then go off until my next drive and do it again. It became more frequent until it was on constantly and the battery was discharging. I had another just fail without warning. Still another failed in a way that it produced an over voltage and I got a Stop Driving Immediately message.
Sounds like it’s time for me to start looking then. Have you had better luck with one brand over another? I’m thinking of getting the Denso from rockauto

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Bosch does have rebuilt alternators that replace the Denso. I can't swear that they are that great though. I had one fail after 10 months. Fortunately, it was replaced under FCP Euro's life time warranty. The replacement is also Bosch and seems to be good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts