SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Considering the Polestar upgrade to my t5. How does it compare to an aftermarket version such as Elivate?
It's more expensive and you get less power but I'm sure it comes with a warranty.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If you are in Cali I would say that is the most likely to pass smog but other than that I would avoid if your warranty is up. I asked about it at the dealer and almost laughed in their faces when they told me the price. I can by a full engine management system for that kind of money!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Warranty = Polestar.
Long gone warranty = Autotech etc etc. Half the price of Polestar and most of the times you'll get more power going aftermarket.

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
If you are in Cali I would say that is the most likely to pass smog but other than that I would avoid if your warranty is up.
Not just most likely, it will pass anything.

P* is a factory option and Volvo respects it. It'll give you a bit more torque in 1st gear than any of the aftermarket options, but the price is ridiculous.

I recommend Shark. Even a basic Stage 1 tune will be more powerful than P*. Plus you have the option to upgrade your tune and mods in the future. P* will never optimize performance parts.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If you are in Cali I would say that is the most likely to pass smog but other than that I would avoid if your warranty is up.
Meh, you just reflash before your smog check to ensure that you'll pass anyways. I would say you don't even gain there considering how fast a reflash is.

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
You can't just re flash polestar, only the dealer can install it and uninstall it.

It's a factory option. PLE cars only have P*. So if you're not passing emissions, you have another problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the Polestar upgrade about a month ago on my 08 v50 geartronic AWD and it's great. Fully agree with the descriptions elsewhere that it is how the T5 engine should feel from the factory. I'd describe the stock tune as linear (almost flat) through the mid range and a bit suffocated above 5000rpm. Polestar tune feels much more energetic and boosted across the rev-range - it's more willing to hold 5th at lower engine speeds, has more mid range surge, and the top end feels much less restricted.

Yes it's expensive, and I'm not sure how it stacks up to aftermarket tunes, but for those who want a straightforward upgrade with no ongoing tinkering required it's a good choice. My reference point is my brother's MazdaSpeed3 - there was no comparison pre-polestar but I don't feel quite so shortchanged now. And the blue badge is a nice touch for those who appreciate that kind of thing.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I got the Polestar upgrade about a month ago on my 08 v50 geartronic AWD and it's great. Fully agree with the descriptions elsewhere that it is how the T5 engine should feel from the factory. I'd describe the stock tune as linear (almost flat) through the mid range and a bit suffocated above 5000rpm. Polestar tune feels much more energetic and boosted across the rev-range - it's more willing to hold 5th at lower engine speeds, has more mid range surge, and the top end feels much less restricted.

Yes it's expensive, and I'm not sure how it stacks up to aftermarket tunes, but for those who want a straightforward upgrade with no ongoing tinkering required it's a good choice. My reference point is my brother's MazdaSpeed3 - there was no comparison pre-polestar but I don't feel quite so shortchanged now. And the blue badge is a nice touch for those who appreciate that kind of thing.
Ya that badge is pretty mint tho...

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts