SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am looking into buying a 2000 s40 1.9T with 171k that overheated and probably has a blown head gasket. from what I could tell, the car ran out of coolant and over heated. The owner said he didnt drive long once it over heated he was going through a tunnel when it over heated and when he got out he pulled over and had it towed.<p>I went to look at the car - it is over in very very nice shape - the tranny fluid seems pretty good to, but the oil is black - way past the burnt stage - completely black - but no sign of coolant or milky stuff in the oil.<br>Inside the oil cap it looked really bad<br>Last - the car would not start - just made the clicking noise.<p>To give you an idea of what I am looking into - when I popped the hood everything looked nice and clean Except that the plastic cover over the spark plugs had melted to the head itself - thats how hot the engine got.<p>So basically what is the chance of survival of this engine - if any at all ?<p>How bad can damage get from overheating - is it possible to be unrepairable ?<br>The most I am willing to do it the head gasket - what else could have been damaged and is there any way to tell ?<p>P.s. why would I go after something like this - its less the 4 miles from me and I can get it for about $300 oh and it would be a summer project this is one of the last things I havent done yet - this and the tranny - I am familiar and have worked on almost everything else on my 850 and s70 T%'s<p>thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
753 Posts
First off wrong forum this is the new s40. <p>Second off if it was an easy fix the guy would have done it himself. Something to think about. You could be looking at least at melted spark plugs maybe melted injectors, but it could be a cracked block or piston. You just dont know. <p>If it wont start it could be anything.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: (msm15)

That can really be touchy... you really dont know the damage until you rip things apart. Could turn into a headache. Unless your talking 500$ for the car i wouldnt bother. Odds are you will spend as much as you would have to buy a smooth running S40.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts