SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving to work yesterday in about 75°F weather, the thermostat rose to the 2nd highest red notch. The highest speed limit on this route is 35; I was able to pull over quickly and let the car cool down. <p>Anti-freeze bubbled out of the coolant reservoir, so I didn't think that could be causing the problem. Oil was fine. I've noticed recently that the fans have been making a lot more noise than usual, but this is the first full summer that I've had the car, so I didn't really have a baseline. It eventually cooled down enough that I could drive the remaining few miles to work, and the needle only rose a knotch or two the rest of the way.<p>On the way home from work, the thermostat reached the red zone again within only about 3 minutes of driving. I pulled over again, let the car cool down. oThis time the coolant reservoir looked like it could take some liquid. It took about a quart. The rest of the drive home went fine - the thermostat barely moved from the 3 o'clock (half-way) position.<p>I have no coolant leaks, only the noisy fans. Has anyone else experienced over-heating while only being down a quart of coolant? Could the extra coolant have solved the problem, or should I look into have fans replaced?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: s40 near over-heating (emilymap)

1. Your thermostat could be stuck <B>closed</B>.<br>2. Your temperature sensor is faulty<br>3. Time to change your coolant/thermostat.<p>I'm planning to do this as soon I get some real free time to work on my car<p><A HREF="http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=9022&prevloaded=1&rid=1128&S=bc38bd33b6baf0fd04d3245c0a45f523&rev=&reveal=&start=0&count=15" TARGET="_blank">http://s40concepts.net/forum/i...nt=15</A> <p><br><i>Modified by excites40 at 12:31 AM 7-13-2006</i><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by excites40 at 12:32 AM 7-13-2006</i>

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Re: s40 near over-heating (excites40)

thermostat stuck CLOSED.<p>sensor not working, maybe, the fan would not usually work though.<p>definite! change thermostat and coolant, now, asap.<p>with the car working properly most of the time, it sounds like the thermostat is sticking. this is an easy job for any mechanic.<p>use volvo coolant and distilled water for best results.<p>coolant $20, water $1.50, thermostat $20 and labor about $50. this should be done regularly any way, maybe not the thermostat, but the rest for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Blown headgasket?

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but bubbling in the overflow tank often indicates a blown head gasket. Was it bubbling with the engine running, or during cooldown (engine off)?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Re: Blown headgasket? (Kestas)

boy is that true too. look at the oil, if it is like chocolate milk there is water in the oil. it could be bubbly too.<p>if you have a blown gasket or warped head you have real problems.<p>there is a test that most mechanics can do to tell if exhaust has gotten in to the coolant. get that done as it detects small leaks. <p> the other things i mentioned are larger problems. best of luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The coolant bubbled after the car was off - as in, it was very hot and I stupidly opened the reservoir cap. The oil looks normal. I'm thinking its the thermostat and/or chemical breakdown of the coolant. Adding more coolant the other day kept things normal until this recent ultimate heat-wave...I'll be bringing it in shortly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts