SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you stock people getting as far as MPG goes. I just bought my car about two months ago and am just wondering if what I am getting is normal or if I am due for a tune up.

Remember completely stock, pretty calm driver (get on it a little but not hard), of course running a/c like crazy 103 degrees here today and I am getting around 25 city.

Normal or not?

·
Registered
989 Posts
2.4 or T5?

I have the T5 and for 7 years have avg 25 mixed. Hwy avg is 29-30 consistently. Never really ran a tank through that was just "city".

·
Registered
90 Posts
A lot of people wonder about the mpg when they get their Volvo. They don't advertise mpg like all the rest of cars nowadays. Probably because it is pretty average to mediocre compared to some. Usually when they advertise a car that gets great mpg its because that is the only good thing about it. *cough* Prius... I've got a T5 AWD V50. I get around 20 around town give or take a few. I do turn a lot of stop signs and lights into miniature drag strips though.

·
Registered
915 Posts
18-20 city 26-30 highway in the V50 T5 AWD bone stock. 13-16 city 20-22 highway in a stage one S40 T5 AWD.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
T5 fwd stage 2 tuned - 19/20 average (90%city with much hills, too many stops, slow rush hour stop and go) - 27/28 highway on long trips

Lol . . .
Usually when they advertise a car that gets great mpg its because that is the only good thing about it. *cough* Prius... I've got a T5 AWD V50.
I don't mind the Prius. Just not a car quite for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
25.4 mpg nearly every tank. I have a long commute, about 1.5 hours each way, each day but it's fairly consistent. 1/3 stop and go city and 2/3 80mph highway. The result is 25.4 mpg almost without fail.

·
Registered
192 Posts
T5 stock...I get 23-24 MPG in mixed Boston area driving and can do as well as 27-28 MPG pure highway. Get more aggressive and I'm lucky to get over 21 MPG.

Didn't buy the car for its gas mileage numbers...

·
Registered
957 Posts
I don't mind the Prius. Just not a car quite for me.
Only problem I have with the Prius around here is, whenever there's a back-up in traffic, once I finally get to the front of it, there's a Prius going about 5-10 MPH UNDER the speed limit. And of course he/she will be in the center or left lane trying to enforce their "ecological concerns" on the rest of the driving public.

Can't wait until I get my next car.... VW Jetta SportTrac TDI. It's only EPA rated 42 MPG, but I hear they do considerably better than that on straight highway running. Let's se... it's an SUV, and a diesel, and it gets better MPG than almost all Hybrids, plus it's cheaper than the Prius. ;-)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Only problem I have with the Prius around here is, whenever there's a back-up in traffic, once I finally get to the front of it, there's a Prius going about 5-10 MPH UNDER the speed limit. And of course he/she will be in the center or left lane trying to enforce their "ecological concerns" on the rest of the driving public.

Can't wait until I get my next car.... VW Jetta SportTrac TDI. It's only EPA rated 42 MPG, but I hear they do considerably better than that on straight highway running. Let's se... it's an SUV, and a diesel, and it gets better MPG than almost all Hybrids, plus it's cheaper than the Prius. ;-)
That's a bit of a generality... Most electric cars are actually pretty quick and often I see these Prius going faster and keeping-up better in traffic than many others. Electric car have actually an advantage on acceleration. They just can't keep-it for a long time or they get battery drain. That said imo I just don't see massive production of battery waste very ecological! It's just a BAD BAD way to approach the problem. Being ecological is a lot more difficult than seeming ecological. It's just like recycling vs. consuming. Sure it can help recycling but in reality it only reduces the pile of junk in the junk yard. It does little to ecology once you process it. If you want to be more ecological you consume less. That would be far more effective. But this is for on other thread when Volvo pulls out on the market the electrical C30 ;)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
*cough* 40 mpg as a constant and long term high was 48 mpg *cough* :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
In Canada:

14 kilometer/liter - city (16.8 MPG )
8 kilometer/liter - highway (29.4 MPG )

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
In Canada:

14 kilometer/liter - city (16.8 MPG )
8 kilometer/liter - highway (29.4 MPG )
mpg didn't show until I was about to reply, probably due to parentheses!

14 km/l > 16.8mpg
8 km/l > 29.4mpg

Edit:
Never mind it shows now :p weird.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've kept track of every gallon put in my T5 since I purchased it in 2005. My average MPG since new is 23.66 (103,258 miles).

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
no A/C 25.5 A/C running full blast due to hot summer 24

·
Registered
839 Posts
i get about 21/22 mpg mixed every tank... thats a bit low i think, but i'm gonna tune her up before the Dragon :)

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

but i did the calculation when i filled up and came out to 34.7 mpg. t5

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Yep that's how you do it. A long trip on the highway. Did you drove casually, constant 60mph, around a place with no elevation?

but i did the calculation when i filled up and came out to 34.7 mpg. t5

1 - 20 of 20 Posts