SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on and off for a few months. Ill be driving and all of a sudden I get a brake failure stop safely light and all my gauges go dead. Sometimes from there the MPH will come back on and only the ABS service light stays. Turn the car off turn it back on and it says check engine, engine service urgent turn it off take out the key and turn it back on and the urgent light is gone only the check engine light stays on until I turn if off and on again. First time it happened I had more lights such as power stearing and brake failure. Also if I turn it off and turn it on to quick I get the immobilizer icon for ten minutes and then it starts up fine. Radio still works windows still work but sometimes driving is rough while its happening. Already tested the alternator and changed the bad battery. I bought a new ecm but havent spent the money to take it to the dealer to get it re programmed cause I want to make sure that its the problem before doing so. Does anyone have any ideas on the issue? Its so frustrating and makes driving anywhere painful.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
wow ... how much did a new ECM run you?

did you ever get your CEL read?

usually this problem is associated with the alternator but it seems yours is good .. but you the battery died which usually hints to a bad alternator, but also how are you wires. these cars are iffy with their battery terminal wires. people have had to get them replaced also for this similar issue your having.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Nothing's for sure but it does sound like an electrical problem and it could be so many thing, a bad wire or connector here or there... Without understanding the wiring diagram it's going to be difficult to isolate but you could try if you are concerned with dealer cost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was only 80$ on Ebay then I was going to have SOS Diagnostics program it for me. I got the CEL checked out and came back with like 14 troubled codes it was crazy.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Been on and off for a few months. Ill be driving and all of a sudden I get a brake failure stop safely light and all my gauges go dead. Sometimes from there the MPH will come back on and only the ABS service light stays. Turn the car off turn it back on and it says check engine, engine service urgent turn it off take out the key and turn it back on and the urgent light is gone only the check engine light stays on until I turn if off and on again. First time it happened I had more lights such as power stearing and brake failure. Also if I turn it off and turn it on to quick I get the immobilizer icon for ten minutes and then it starts up fine. Radio still works windows still work but sometimes driving is rough while its happening. Already tested the alternator and changed the bad battery. I bought a new ecm but havent spent the money to take it to the dealer to get it re programmed cause I want to make sure that its the problem before doing so. Does anyone have any ideas on the issue? Its so frustrating and makes driving anywhere painful.:confused::confused:
PEM module. When this sucker goes, every urgent warning code (Red "!" Light ) imaginable comes on. One of the most dangerous issues with these cars, but are covered under an extended warranty. We have a sticky on this issue here, and once you familiarize yourself with what it is, take your S40 to your dealership and have them look up the issue, verify it's covered (99% sure it will be), then have them do the procedure. It's a relocation of a module. If you live in any kind of moisture area, it's a given.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PEM module. When this sucker goes, every urgent warning code (Red "!" Light ) imaginable comes on. One of the most dangerous issues with these cars, but are covered under an extended warranty. We have a sticky on this issue here, and once you familiarize yourself with what it is, take your S40 to your dealership and have them look up the issue, verify it's covered (99% sure it will be), then have them do the procedure. It's a relocation of a module. If you live in any kind of moisture area, it's a given.

I live by the beach in Southern California, not that moist you think they would cover it?

Heres a list of codes I pulled from it I figure it was the ECM that was faulty because of the High speed communication error.

ECM: 2600
940c
E000
950C
930C
922C

CEM:E000
DF17

DIM: 0001

Steering wheel: 0032

ABS:0100

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also my car never fully quit out on me while driving.. It does idle odd but never stalls out. The the left side of the gages come back on if I keep driving while it says "brake failure" and it turns into the ABS service light. However the only time I do get the immobilizer is when I turn off the car while the gages are failing and in the case it doesn't crank whatsoever for 10 minutes then turns on with that ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT light.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I suppose it could be the ECM due to the Signal Too High code. I'd try to get the PEM module replaced, regardless. This way, you can have your car diagnosed at the same time as your extended warranty repair. If you go into the dealership two different times, you'll get separate bills for each diagnostic, and so forth, so try to get your ECM and PEM in one service, while focusing on the PEM issue.

You can call Volvo and actually ask if your VIN is potentially valid for a PEM replacement (while also telling them you live by the beach on the West Coast). If they say yes, then you have a little more influence talking with an authorized dealership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im going to look into that, have you ever heard of an EPS modula going bad? I had a cracked and leaking coolant tank on that side of the engine while this was happening so maybe some of the water damaged that module and is causing a communication error? Is there a way to test the module?

Thanks!

-Dylan

I suppose it could be the ECM due to the Signal Too High code. I'd try to get the PEM module replaced, regardless. This way, you can have your car diagnosed at the same time as your extended warranty repair. If you go into the dealership two different times, you'll get separate bills for each diagnostic, and so forth, so try to get your ECM and PEM in one service, while focusing on the PEM issue.

You can call Volvo and actually ask if your VIN is potentially valid for a PEM replacement (while also telling them you live by the beach on the West Coast). If they say yes, then you have a little more influence talking with an authorized dealership.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Im going to look into that, have you ever heard of an EPS modula going bad? I had a cracked and leaking coolant tank on that side of the engine while this was happening so maybe some of the water damaged that module and is causing a communication error? Is there a way to test the module?

Thanks!

-Dylan
Hmmm, unfortunately, I haven't heard of this issue.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hmmm, unfortunately, I haven't heard of this issue.
Starting this thread back up because I am having a "Immobilizer-Check Manual" message.

Went to the store to pick up some things and I try to start the car and CAR WONT START. seems like the battery is fine because everything like the lights and radio work. I get the message "Immobilizer-Check Manual". I DID HAVE BOTH KEYS NEXT TO EACH OTHER. So I did what the manual said and to keep the keys away from each other and still no start. I dropped my main key when I was in the store so I am wondering if that messed it up? I cant seem to find anything on here.

If you have any experience of this or have advice, it would be awesome. At a lost and concerned as the car is stuck about half hour from my house in a random parking lot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Could be a bad ignition lock. It's a common problem on the P1 Plattform. So it has tobe replaced.

Sometimes disconnecting the GND pole from the battery for some minutes or put the key in the ignition lock and give it a small hit on the back where the metalkey is.
But be aware that this does not always help and if it helps it's only a temporary fix.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 WiFi.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Hey buddy type it in youtube the answer is the connection under the passenger side is not connected all the way in it might be doing short circuit so all you have to do is plug it all the way in !! let me know how it goes! good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
Double check battery...I got the same message when my battery amperage was low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Nathan
10' S40 T5 R-Design

1 - 14 of 14 Posts