SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<BR>I noticed it yesterday when I filled up my tank. Before the fill-up, the needle is at the low red line and low fuel indicator is on. But it only filled about 12.3 gallons. The tank is designed to hold 15.8 gallons. I have made an appointment with the dealer. They said that they will take a look at it. Is my S40's fuel gauge faulty or they are designed this way? There are 3.5 gallon left in the tank when low fuel indicator is on and fuel needle is at the red line. Does anybody have the same experience?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've certainly had the experience in all other cars I've owned. In fact, my Honda Civic, with a 13-gallon tank, leaves over four gallons when the light comes on. In that car, that's over 130 miles of travel left.<P>My V70 still has about four gallons too, but that's on a 21 gallon tank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My fuel gauge does strange things too. For starters, when I fill the tank up completely, the gauge reads 9/10. It never really gets up to the full level. When its really down to the red level, I usually put in about 52 litres, meaning that there are still about 8 litres left in the tank. OK, that's only about 2 gallons.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I notice the same thing - I was below a quarter this morning so I filled it up and put in less than 40 litres (39.008 to be exact). When the light came on one time I put in about 50 litres.<P>I'd rather it be that way then what I had with my old corolla where anything under a quarter of a tank left could be at empty.<P>

·
Registered
528 Posts
My gage never read full until just this week when the dealer downloaded new "fuel gage" software. Works fine now.<P>- Darell

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's interesting, Darrell, I'll try that next time I'm in for service.<BR>I didn't realise that even the fuel gauge is controlled by software!

·
Registered
188 Posts
..but don't all cars do that? That meaning leaving a certain reserve even when you hit "e" or red? I have seen cars have this reserve varying from 2 to 4 gallons. I guess that's why I didn't make much of it when I filled up the tank and there was still like a couple of gallons technically in there!

·
Registered
53 Posts
well every volvo I have ever had definately does. I think the owner's manual says when the light comes on there is supposed to be 7 litres left in the tank (more than 1.5 gallons). So just hitting the red zome I would expect there to be 3 to 4 gallons left. This would be consistent with all my old volvos, when the guage hit the reserve (the red marks) there was still about a quarter of a tank, despite there being far less travel in the red zone than a quater of the guage. I consider this perfectly normal for volvo's<BR>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I filled up the full tank again last Thursday. Guess what? This time the gauge did not reach full when I filled up the tank. The needle only points at 14 gallon level. Does the hot weather have something to do with the gauge? I live in Chicago area and you know the weather was very hot for the last week. Or the gauge is controled by some software?? Anyway, I will take the car to the dealer on Wednesday plus the rear driver side door developed a rattling noise when the temperature is warm and I am over the bumpy road. The noise is very annoying. I guess some door clip is loosen. Thanks for the reply and I will let u know the results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The dealer replace the fuel sending unit on the S40. They said that this is the cause of the uncorrect reading for the fuel gauge. Hopefully this solves the problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
well from what I see my new V40's guage is working well, had it down to where the fuel light was on for a bit and when I filled it there was about 1.5 gallons left (actually 6 litres). By this point the guage was down to the bottom of the red mark on the guage (wasn't intentional, just forgot to fill up in the morning and by the time I got to a gas station that's what was left).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts