SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One and half months ago I bought S40 2.0 and for the first 1.500 km it went perfectly. Since then I have occasional troubles with cold ignition. I have to keep starter running for 5 - 6 seconds till it fires up. I went to the authorised service, and thay said that car is OK. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
415 Posts
This has happened to me twice since i've owned the car. You turn the key like normal expecting the car to start but it just doesn't fire up. You have to turn the key and wait for it to actually start and then release the key. I was a bit worried at first but both times it happened it was very spread apart from each other and I haven't had problems since.<P>Carlos<BR>2001 Volvo S40 "Volvo for life"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for Your reply! Since may last e-mail I've changed the key, and it didn't happen again. My be this is the solution?!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Cool, let me know if that does resolve the problem, it could also be something intermittent, that ignition is placed funky under there, could be the key isn't insterted properly as well? <P>Carlos<P>2001 Volvo S40 "Volvo for life"<BR>

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I have not had any problems with it anymore. You might want to take it to the dealer and see what they say about it. I know it's going to be a pain in the @$$ since it is not a problem that can be easily duplicated.<P>Carlos

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey Tonk,<P> I was wondering, when you start your car do you turn the key and wait a few seconds before actually turning it to start? I have not expercienced the "cold start" anymore and the only thing I noticed that I do different is not wait. I used to turn the key to position II and then wait a few seconds for whatever reason and then start, I don't do that anymore and I haven't had problems. Just wondering if maybe you did the same thing I did?<P><BR>Carlos

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Until now I have waited until airbag lamp went off. Now I will follow your advice, and inform you about results. Thanx.<P>Tonko

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cs40racing:<BR><B>Hey Tonk,<P> I was wondering, when you start your car do you turn the key and wait a few seconds before actually turning it to start? I have not expercienced the "cold start" anymore and the only thing I noticed that I do different is not wait. I used to turn the key to position II and then wait a few seconds for whatever reason and then start, I don't do that anymore and I haven't had problems. Just wondering if maybe you did the same thing I did?<P><BR>Carlos</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Hi Carlos,<BR>I give up! This car is piece of §...!¨I still have that cold start problem, no matter what I do. And also, now my right rear suspension start to produce<BR>banging noise, and my roof started to crunch.<BR>I have only 3K miles. I tried everything, I went to authorised services, I send several e-mails to Volvo representatives, and more I try, more I get disappointed.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Man I am sorry to hear that. Perhaps you can convince Volvo to give you another car completely or just fix that one properly. I haven't had any more problems with mine and i've modified most of my suspension so I don't hear anything wrong with it. Good luck. By the way what country are you in?<P>Carlos<BR>2001 Volvo S40 "Volvo for life"<BR>

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the same problem few days ago when I was sticked into a vehicle lift inside a car park! I pressed the lift alarm and call someone for help since I couldn't turn on the engine for several trials and the lift door was finally closed. Can you imagine I was stuck in a lift with my volvo? Fortunately, when I turned it on again after 2 minutes, it worked again! Anyway, I will go to the service for checking this problem and other minor stuff as well.<BR>

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hey guys,<P> I was just flipping through my owners manual and noticed the "Ignition sleep mode" content. Could this possibly be the problem we've encountered? Perhaps bad timer chip or coding in ECU?<P>Carlos<BR>2001 Volvo S40 "Volvo for life"<P>P.S. it's on page 63 of the 2001 S40 Owners manual. <p>[This message has been edited by cs40racing (edited 04-05-2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cs40racing:<BR><B>Hey guys,<P> I was just flipping through my owners manual and noticed the "Ignition sleep mode" content. Could this possibly be the problem we've encountered? Perhaps bad timer chip or coding in ECU?<P>Carlos<BR>2001 Volvo S40 "Volvo for life"<P>P.S. it's on page 63 of the 2001 S40 Owners manual. <P>[This message has been edited by cs40racing (edited 04-05-2001).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, since I am not alone, maybe I am not totally deranged.Sorry Carlos, but my owners manual does not have page 63. It has chapters, and in 6:3 (chapter 6, page 3)there is nothing about ignition. Maybe VolvoC70 will have more luck, but I doubt. ccording to my experience Volvo isn't what it used to be, and all aftersales service is incompetent, at least in my country. <P>Tonko

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's not only in your country! (I won't name names) but the service dept. at my dealership wasn't all that helpful when I had a problem and returned my car with lose panels. What a crock! Anyway, my car has been fine without problems. Hope you get your problem solved... someday?? I will do my best to keep monitoring the "cold start" syndrome on my car to see what it may be, or any other ideas I may have!<P>[email protected]<BR>2001 Volvo S40 "Volvo for Life"

·
Registered
313 Posts
Back to the part about waiting for a few seconds on cold starts... I have an 850 T5, and when my car is cold, it takes a few extra spins or so to get going if i don't wait. I think it is because of the fuel pump. If you wait a second or two, the pump has a few seconds to get up to full pressure, where as if you wait, it takes a few extra seconds. Your promlem seems like it is more involved than this, but i just thouhgt i would throw it up there.<P>Best of luck!<P><P>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For about 1 month, and after two visits to Volvo service car was working just fine. Then after third visit, when they replaced some "sensor", everything started again. It is obvious, they are now more annoyed than I am. He, he, he. <BR>Tonko (Volvo for infarct)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts