SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just wondered about replacing the cabin filter on my 2005 s40 t5. Couldnt seem to find much in the manual other than take it to volvo.....no thanks. Wondering if anyone has done it themselves and where exactly it located. Just doesnt seem as fresh in the cockpit as of late.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i've just done it. There a how-to in this section. It's next to the gaspedal, a lot of work and took me an hour or so.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, it was pain in ass to get it out.. had to take pedals out to have room to get cabin filter out... much harder than my fiance's a4..

·
Registered
207 Posts
I only had to take out the gas pedal, but the design is terrible. My car was in maintenance with a volvo dealer,
but i think they also thought let's not do this, but let him pay for it. This is what it looked like (and half was allready lying on the carpet)

·
Registered
85 Posts
this is actually an easy change, just time consuming. I dont know why they didnt go for behind the glove box.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
I think I read that Volvo forgot to change the access door to the pass. side when they brought these cars to the US. This access point is fine in Europe!

·
Registered
33 Posts
RHD where I live, and I think it's a lot easier to do than with a LHD car. No need to remove any pedals. Still takes some time though. They could have designed it for a more accessible place.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Do not forget to replace the gas pedal hardware. Do NOT reuse the factory ovaled nuts.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Exactly, it's case by case but Volvo determined the cause of the pedal plate studs failing was due to the retard strength ovaled nuts being way too over tight for a plastic pedal lol.

It's best practice to replace the nuts with standard hardware when doing the filter replacement.

Most cars that have been serviced thru the dealer their first few free maintenance services should have updated hardware. It would have been done per the 15k warranty service.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Oh darn. So what are the right nuts, then?

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Just ur standard nuts, just not ovaled like factory. No locking nuts required for something with such minimal torque.

The bulletin was put out quite a few years ago. Obviously it took some failures for Volvo to realize the mistake. In which later models they switched out the hardware. I wanna say anything older than 08 should check their hardware prior to replacing the cabin filter that way u can replace it during the service.

I swapped out hardware on every one I found that hadn't been done, so hopefully if ur vehicle was ever dealer serviced they did this also. There are some perks to going to the dealers vs. independents ;)

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Ok, cool. I have a cabin filter waiting for me to replace, so I'll change the nuts then.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
When I did mine the installed factory nuts were silver & obviously ovalized. Quite hard to remove the entire way off the stud. The factory replacements (no change in part number) were black (flanged a bit for a built-in washer effect) & they spun right down the stud with no effort. If your nuts spin off the stud with low effort while removing them you're good to re-use.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts