SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, am preparing the car for a couple of trackdays and am just about to replace the discs, pads & fluid so that I know where I'm at with it all.
I'm looking to get some OEM brake lines if possible for tops of £30-40~ in the UK but they are proving a bit difficult to find...
I don't know about the rest of S40/V50 owners but my brake pedal currently feels very spongy right at the top of the pedal (maybe because the rubber lines are 10 years old?, so am hoping new lines and other stuff will fix this):/

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Easiest upgrade is to 320mm rotors/calipers on the front. These only came on few choice T5 equipped cars. Hit your local wrecking yards to find some cheap.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Check your class rules and be sure you can replace the lines. If you do I suggest you find some with a DOT number on them so you dont end up with a hastle when the pit safety officer inspects your car. You may also want to consider black colored lines just to keep upgrades under wreaps so you dont get bumped in class. Not that lines would usually do that. But, the more the inspector spots l, the closer attention they will pay to your car.

Another thing to note about using the P1 chassis on track days is that the stability control system uses the brakes. So, you will see more heating than you expect on a road course. You may want to do the Drjones race mod.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
MNIWT you must be an engineer too. You are always up and online super early.

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
MNIWT you must be an engineer too. You are always up and online super early.
Haha, just a morning person. Bachelors in New Media Arts / Technical Communications, working as a manager in an accounts receivable department, pursuing an MBA for the betterment of my future, turning wrenches for my own pleasure.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Well, I cant blame you. If I still lived there I would be doing even more on my cars.

To the OP, go with DOT4 thicker fluid that will help make the brakes more firm. The lines will help a lot and allow you to modulate better. However the brakes will never be performance with the simple mods. The lines, fluid, pads will make the pedal firmer and more linear. I think thats what you are after. If you want more top of the pedal responce like a sports car you may need to go with one of the bigger vehicle master cylinders. That would be hard if not impossible for the pit inspector to detect, nor would he care that it was modded. However, you would be on your own there as far as figuring out what parts are cross. If you have an automatic you may get lucky with the XC90 master but with a manual trans who knows...

·
Registered
73 Posts
What's all the talk about class rules and pit inspectors? Track days (at least here in the UK) you turn up and drive your car around the track. There are no classes and certainly no restrictions on modifications!

He's not racing!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If you autocross here in the USA there are class rules for SCCA solo etc.. Your mods will bump you up a class so you have to compete with faster cars if you are not careful. For track days.... I suppose it wont matter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses :D
Yeah its only trackdays I'll be going to, so hopefully there shouldn't be any issues modifying anything (as long as it's done properly so its safe and passes inspection I guess).
I saw the kit for the 320mm upgrade on the Viva performance website however its nearly £1000 so not really worth doing to a car that's only worth £2500 (especially considering I'll hopefully be upgrading to a t5 awd next October which should have them as standard).
In the end I ended up getting:
300mm Drilled and Slotted discs
Mintex performance pads
Motul RBF600 fluid (This is compatible with our cars right? xD I'm 99% sure)
as well as replacement fluids & oils for pretty much everything else (gearbox, engine, coolant etc) so that I know what condition it's all in.

I'm looking at getting ss braided lines and there is a Wezmoto kit on Ebay for £55 which looks pretty decent and are apparently: FMVSS-106, ADR, LTSA, DOT and TUV approved.

Link to them: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Braided-B...8915e4a&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=4&sd=320850512493

If anyone has experience with this brand please let me know as I'm unsure whether to go with these, the HEL lines or the Goodridge lines (or any other decent brand if anyone has advice)

Link to the HEL lines: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEL-Brake-Lines-For-Volvo-S40-MS-2-0-D-2004-/320850512493
Link to the Goodridge lines: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodridge...el:S40&hash=item51cf79d819:g:wGYAAOSwBLlVLmeC (noted that they are only apparently compatible with the cars with 16.5" wheels... but according to the compatibility checker also fit the 2.0d's.... no idea)

Sorry about this long post and the fact I'm new to this kind of thing so am not to experienced :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wait a minute.... unplugging the yaw sensor or adding a switch works on any s40 with dstc (so the 2.0d fwd) and turns off the traction control and stability control but keeps the abs on?
Sounds like something I definitely need

·
Registered
397 Posts
There are no classes at open track days, it's for anyone. You run what you brung. Don't think he means SCCA or sanctioned race events. Just for fun.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Btw Toyota TRD racing fluid is motul rbf600 and is typically a fair bit cheaper than the motul stuff.

Highly highly recommend the mod, I over heated my brakes something chronic on my last track day. Remember the cars are stupid heavy and will load up the tyres pretty hard, expect a lot of sidewall movement!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
Wait a minute.... unplugging the yaw sensor or adding a switch works on any s40 with dstc (so the 2.0d fwd) and turns off the traction control and stability control but keeps the abs on?
Sounds like something I definitely need
It'll work on any Volvo, even the XC90.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts