SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Considering the S40 II was a long time the backbone of sedans in the Volvo lineup I'd say Volvo cannot do without one. Those renderings though aren't original...

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
I'm sure they will come out with a new S40, just the like V40. But it may take them a while...

And if they make an R-design T6, AWD, I will definitely have to get one when my S40 no longer wants to go.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It looks like an S60 with one nut cut off in the engine department. I'll pass, thanks. The S40 will need to be DISTINGUISHED from the S60, and not made to look like an inbred.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That render looks awesome! I hope they build a new S40

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The S40 is a confusing car. It's too small to compete with the 3-series, yet too large to compete with the 1-series.

The S60 is already a "small" car, so what's the benefit of having an even smaller model?

Here's what I think Volvo should do:
New S40 to rival with 3-series, A4, and C-class
Next gen S60 to rival with 5-series, A6, and E-Class
Next gen S80 to rival with 7-series, A8, and S-Class.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Why can't we get an S50--beefier than the current S40, but not quite an S60. The V50 has been out, and I think it should have been a "V40", but the nomenclature kinda confuses me.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
the s40 was a option for the jetta as far as i know....T5 vs gli ...
the s40 also compete with the bmw 1 series (at least in size)

maybe also with other cars ....the s40 was very successful where i live cause of the size, its nimble and its cheaper then a s60 in other words its a entry luxury sedan car

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
the s40 was a option for the jetta as far as i know....T5 vs gli ...
the s40 also compete with the bmw 1 series (at least in size)

maybe also with other cars ....the s40 was very successful where i live cause of the size, its nimble and its cheaper then a s60 in other words its a entry luxury sedan car
The Jetta comparrison is absolutely correct.

The V50 was a VW Golf Variant. The S40 the VW Jetta. The C30 the VW Golf.

People compare the S40 to the 3 series, due to it's size, but size doesn't mean anything today.

C30/S40/V50 = Compact class
S60/V60 = Midsize
V70/S80 = Fullsize

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was told that the V40 replaces the C30, S40 & V50 range - there is a XC40/V40XC to compete against the BMW X1 and the Audi Q3 but there was no mention of a new S40. This was from my contact at the local Volvo dealer...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I was told that the V40 replaces the C30, S40 & V50 range - there is a XC40/V40XC to compete against the BMW X1 and the Audi Q3 but there was no mention of a new S40. This was from my contact at the local Volvo dealer...
It is meant tio, indeed. But an S40 still isn't "stopped". The C30 and V50 have been melted down into the V40. Sporty little compact with 5 doors ;) The S40 is in there somewhere BUT it still can be an individual vehicle.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
isn't the c30 still for sale ???

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yes, but the C30 will end production in December. 51st week of 2012 - or 21.12.2012 (US: 12.21.2012) :D What ever comes first :D

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The nomenclature kinda confuses me.
So, to my understanding:
C = Coupe
S = Sedan
V = Vagon.... errr Wagon/Estate
XC = Cross Country

Then the numbers are essentially size. Odd numbers to hatchbacks (C30, V50, V70) and even to others (S40, S60, S80). Then the SUV's complete F with that logic as does the C70 and S70.

So THAT's what the Mayans predicted, the end of C30 production!
How do I upvote that?!

(Too much time on reddit)

·
Registered
30 Posts
So, to my understanding:
C = Coupe
S = Sedan
V = Vagon.... errr Wagon/Estate
XC = Cross Country
V stands for Versatile as far as I know. At one point Volvo opted to have even numbers for sedans and odd numbers for versatiles: S40 / V50, V70 / S80 without the S60 actually having a "paired" car. But now they've again changed it to have the same numbers to reflect the particular line of cars.

I would definitely not count on another new car in the 40-series besides the XC40. Let's not forget that there are other cars in the range due for a change. The XC90 (which is the longest lasting model so far), planned for the end of 2013/beginning of 2014. The C70 factory which is closing in 2013. I highly doubt that they'll be bringing the C70 production over to another plant (looking at the age of the model), instead starting a production line for a replacement under the SPA (Scalable Platform Architecture). Looking at the average lifespan of a model the S80/V70/XC70 could be refreshed in 2015.

Let's not forget that the V40 isn't a replacement for anything really (I don't count the C30, because it's not the same). The V60 is a replacement for the V50 (a lot of people don't count this because of the price-difference, but that's because they compare prices of an end-of-life model with the prices of a new model). The S40, for Europe, wasn't a very important car. Didn't sell very well. As said earlier, too small to compete with a 3-series, too big to compete with a 1-series. Plus most people here prefer driving wagons rather than sedans. Those that do drive a sedan can on average be seen as two categories: young people without a family (going for sporty sedans like the 3-series) or older people which have kids that have left the nest. Those older people tend to choose luxury (after having been able to save up for a while) and thus go for 5/7-series, S80, E-class. That said, when I visit my dealer there are rarely sedans to be found in the shop.

Then again, I could be wrong, as the US requires an entirely different *non-eco* strategy. In Belgium we are doomed with high-taxes on any sort of car that performs at least a little.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
V stands for Versatile as far as I know. At one point Volvo opted to have even numbers for sedans and odd numbers for versatiles: S40 / V50, V70 / S80 without the S60 actually having a "paired" car. But now they've again changed it to have the same numbers to reflect the particular line of cars.

I would definitely not count on another new car in the 40-series besides the XC40. Let's not forget that there are other cars in the range due for a change. The XC90 (which is the longest lasting model so far), planned for the end of 2013/beginning of 2014. The C70 factory which is closing in 2013. I highly doubt that they'll be bringing the C70 production over to another plant (looking at the age of the model), instead starting a production line for a replacement under the SPA (Scalable Platform Architecture). Looking at the average lifespan of a model the S80/V70/XC70 could be refreshed in 2015.

Let's not forget that the V40 isn't a replacement for anything really (I don't count the C30, because it's not the same). The V60 is a replacement for the V50 (a lot of people don't count this because of the price-difference, but that's because they compare prices of an end-of-life model with the prices of a new model). The S40, for Europe, wasn't a very important car. Didn't sell very well. As said earlier, to small to compete with a 3-series, too big to compete with a 1-series. Plus most people here prefer driving wagons rather than sedans. Those that do drive a sedan can on average be seen as two categories: young people without a family (going for sporty sedans like the 3-series) or older people which have kids that have left the nest. Those older people tend to choose luxury (after having been able to save up for a while) and thus go for 5/7-series, S80, E-class. That said, when I visit my dealer there are rarely sedans to be found in the shop.

Then again, I could be wrong (as the US requires an entirely different *non-eco* strategy. In Belgium we are doomed with high-taxes on any sort of car that performs at least a little.
As a base, I'd agree. The only constant at Volvo is the unconstant.

The S60 I was the sedan version of the V70. It used to be:

Sedan even, wagon odd (even + 10).

So: S40 and V50, S60 and V70. The S80 was "wagon free"

Volvo then introduced the new S80. The V70 got the S80's front end (until B-pillar) so the wagon was then the same number as the sedan minus 10.

Then the XC60 was introduced. This was placed below the XC70, which is actually a tad smaller. So they needed some kind of sedan smaller than the V70. So the S60 II was created. A wagon was needed, to cover the gap between the V50 and V70 (as the V70 is too big and the V50 sometimes too small). So the V60 was introduced.

But the problem was then, what comes next? The S40 and V50 were to end within 2 years of introduction. Volvo looked into what they could do. As the C30 wasn't as successful as planned and hoped but still wasn't a flop, the next generation was to be a compact car. Volvo wasn't sure though how to name it. Suggestions were C40 (C in this case for Compact). Or C30 II with the C30 ending. To position it a little higher and as a replacement for S40 and V50, it was named V40. The V though not meaning the same as the V in the V60 or V70.

Volvo's ideas and names are everything else but constant...

·
Registered
30 Posts
As a base, I'd agree. The only constant at Volvo is the unconstant.

The S60 I was the sedan version of the V70. It used to be:

Sedan even, wagon odd (even + 10).

So: S40 and V50, S60 and V70. The S80 was "wagon free"

Volvo then introduced the new S80. The V70 got the S80's front end (until B-pillar) so the wagon was then the same number as the sedan minus 10.

Then the XC60 was introduced. This was placed below the XC70, which is actually a tad smaller. So they needed some kind of sedan smaller than the V70. So the S60 II was created. A wagon was needed, to cover the gap between the V50 and V70 (as the V70 is too big and the V50 sometimes too small). So the V60 was introduced.

But the problem was then, what comes next? The S40 and V50 were to end within 2 years of introduction. Volvo looked into what they could do. As the C30 wasn't as successful as planned and hoped but still wasn't a flop, the next generation was to be a compact car. Volvo wasn't sure though how to name it. Suggestions were C40 (C in this case for Compact). Or C30 II with the C30 ending. To position it a little higher and as a replacement for S40 and V50, it was named V40. The V though not meaning the same as the V in the V60 or V70.

Volvo's ideas and names are everything else but constant...
Indeed. Especially the S80 getting the V70 nose, complicating matters beyond need. The V in V40 indeed does not fit. But having driven the new V40 and having compared the C30 and V40, I find that the boot of the V40 is much bigger (even though it has a small boot) and the V40 offers more space to the backseat passengers AND extra doors. I will go as far to say that I'd switch my V50 for a new V40 in a heartbeat. Overall feel of quality and sturdiness is (imo) ten times better.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I've driven the V40 (to be precise: yesterday again) and I can't understand why someone would try to compare it with the C30. It IS the replacement but it ISN'T to be compared with it. The C30 was something "special". Sportier than the V40 could ever be. After driving it today, I know how much I like my car.

The steering is indirect and articifial (due to the electrical power steering)
The suspension is hard compared to my lowered C30 (the V40 was not lowered)
The engine (D2) is more lively in the C30 than in the V40 (it is kind of like having to thrash the engine to get it moving where as in the C30 or better all P1s it works great)
Interior is okay but over designed, too busy for my taste where as the P1s have a beautifully simple design with details you spot after years
The V40 looks like any other car on the road. As I pulled up here at home my neighbor asked if it was fun sticking Volvo badges on a Ford Focus. As I said it was a Volvo he said "YIKES!"

I am always open for new things but I think the V40 is okay but not mine. It is a great "Premium Compact" car to rival the A3 and 1 Series but for that it is just to standard. Design goes over individualism.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts