SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and sorry if this was addressed before, I used the search function but couldn't find anything that would describe my issue.

I'm planning on buying a 2005 S40 2.4i (B5244S4) with 64k miles on the clock. It's a manual 5-speed.

I had it checked out at a local mechanic shop for any oil leaks or worn suspension parts and it came through clean, except for a worn axle rubber boot that leaks grease and both front strut mounts.

There is a clunking/knocking sound coming from the wheel well, where you can see the transmission, that only happens for a few seconds at a time. It is not noticeable while driving, only when at idle (and when not in gear). The owner did change the clutch which made me think that it could've been installed incorrectly, as such causing the clunk.

Could this be rod-knock or is it related to the transmission? Could this be solved through a clutch reinstall?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
#1 Issue causes knocking: All 3 motor mounts check them out - a whole lot cheaper than a motor pull and clutch kit.
Mine used to knock at idle as well from that same side, cold start especially so. Replaced the mount on that side and it went away. OEM mounts are like 10yrs or 50k-100k miles in life, and that's the upper end of both.
#2 Issue that causes knocking: Front Strut bearings are shot.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
#1 Issue causes knocking: All 3 motor mounts check them out - a whole lot cheaper than a motor pull and clutch kit.
Mine used to knock at idle as well from that same side, cold start especially so. Replaced the mount on that side and it went away. OEM mounts are like 10yrs or 50k-100k miles in life, and that's the upper end of both.
Front strut bearings wouldn't make any noise at a standstill, though. The OP says the knocking happens when at idle and not in gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked out the car again today and my bet is that the clutch slave could've been installed incorrectly, will definitely change motor mounts beforehand. Sounds like this Mazda MX5. It does have a shady service history (the guy has papers for 2 suspension links and on the car only one of them was changed).

I have to change the PCV as well as the suspension and drive shaft parts I mentioned in the post so I will check the issue out while the engine is running and possibly find out what the deal with the clunking is if the motor mounts don't fix it.

I'll post updates as soon as I can get under the car and start checking things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts