SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I've noticed my 05 S40 2.0d has huge positive crank case pressure (enough to blow oil out of the dipstick hole) and can smell something pretty noxious when not moving (especially just after starting it, but maybe that's just because I let it sit for 30 seconds or so). If anyone has an idea what this is and how to fix it could you please help :'(.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You have to replace the oil filter adapter housing/pcv oil trap. The pcv system is all integrated into it. Its the housing that the oil filter is in.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Just so we're clear. He has the 2.0 diesel engine...
It will take awhile but some of our euro friends will chime in shortly I suspect.
No diesel here in the USA. :(

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm working (a bit) on it now...

Those of us who have the gasoline (Bxxxx) engines have the dreaded dumb friggin PCV/[email protected] (I've changed it, and the car tried to eat two of my fingers...)

The diesel engine seem (according to VADIS 2005) to have a different solution...

Update will follow shortly...

*edit:

@BarbequedPossum, what is the service history of the car? Regular oil/filter changes? Are you driving short trips often?

It's possible a oil hose could be clogged? (Duh! :p The PCV shows as a hose...)

*Even more editing:

Oil filter

1.Oil filter housing
2.Oil cooler.

*Last for now:

It's waaay beyond bedtime... Hopefully Crossie or JensV50 (I think Daim does diesel :p) will chime in... ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mentor, thanks for the reply :)
1. I have no service history of the car before I bought it (at around 88,000).
2. For the last 15k miles I've been doing oil & oil filter changes every 5k miles.
3. I avoid doing short trips like the plague as I heard these are awful for the diesels.

I'll wait for a few more responses before taking the oil/pcv hose off and checking it out as I'll have to get my dads help with it as I always feel like I'm going to break something when I work on it alone xD

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi Mentor, thanks for the reply :)
You're welcome, hope I made any sense... :p

Ok, so #1 is always a bit awkward... (You could possibly check with a volvoshop and see if they have any info in their systems? ;))

#2 is very good! What kind of oil (and filter) are you using?

#3 is even better... As you probably know, the usual victim of short drives is the particle filter in the exhaust... Unbelievably expensive part!!!
(When driving short trips often, one should once in a while have a long enough trip to properly heat up the exhaust, so it has the possibility to burn all the residue of the DPF... :))

I found this, it's listed as the PCV hose, but I couldn't figure out where it's supposed to go... Hopefully this will give you a hint? :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi. I've noticed similar issue in mine 2.0d. Pressure is not that high right now, but I don't want to neglect the problem and wake up one day with oil blowing out from the dip stick. With the next oil change I'm going to use engine flush (like LiquiMoly) and check if that helps with possibly clogged system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heyy, sorry have been busy for a fair while. I used engine oil flush on the first 2 oil changes I did with the car. Made 0 difference, so I think it's another issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts