SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading this forum for some time. This is a great site for information. I saw a question some time ago about modifying S/V 70s. I currently have a MY00 S70 GLT SE and have played with the wastegate a little.<p>Has anyone tried to upgrade their intercoolers on their turbo cars? Are there any suppliers for this? I have looked into SPEARCO but have been unsuccessful.<p><br>Thanks.

·
Administrator
55,881 Posts
Re: S/V70 Mods (scandinaviansled)

IPD (www.ipdusa.com) makes mods, and I think they have an ECU upgrade for the 2000 cars. Garrett ( GIAC ) also has an upgrade for Volvos. I haven't focused much on our '99 S70 GLT as I have been looking for an 2000 V70R to be my daily driver.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts

First and the foremost thing you want to look into is to stregthen your engine internal before you want to do any of those stuff. Even the T5 engine was already not strong enough to withstand much stress from some serious upgrades like turbo and intercooler...needless to say you only have the GLT engine to start with.<p>I have my listed posted elsewhere on this site, and I have done pretty much everything and anything you could on this engine and more. It's not an easy task and definitely not cheap. The questions you want to ask yourself are how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go.<p>Let us know your goal and your budget, that way we can suggest you better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: S/V70 Mods (The_one_n_only)

Funds are limited due to new baby....<p>I don't want to replace the turbo with a larger one because I don't want to increase the lag. Right now, I think that there is a good compromise with the low end torque and performance. Aside from that, I don't want to void the warranty.<p>I was looking for bolt in intercoolers, but haven't found one yet.<p>Have you installed an aftermarket intercooler on your C70?

·
Registered
6,564 Posts

Not all the slightly bigger turbo is going to be more laggy than your current one. Bolt on (bigger) intercooler WILL give you lag as well. If lag is what you don't want, then the intercooler upgrade is not for you.<p>There's really no bolt-on IC for GLT, but for T5. I don't think it makes a difference btwn the two models, so you might be able to use the ones that was designed for the T5. Autotech sells one, it's not really a simple direct bolt-on. If you have access to a shop to work on the conversion yourself, then it'll not be too costly. Just the IC cost..<$900, you can get it from Carlos at Texas Automotive Performance.<p>What other upgrades have you done so far? You might get more from other things than IC. Won't really notice much of difference until you have other goodies to go along with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts