SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, appears the Drive-E AWD note from the Polish price list is not a typo after all. Official announcement and pricing should be coming around September. This from a very reliable little bird ;).

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
So, appears the Drive-E AWD note from the Polish price list is not a typo after all. Official announcement and pricing should be coming around September. This from a very reliable little bird ;).
Which transmission?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys, 8-speed automatic only :(.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Will the T6 FWD go away, then?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I only enquired about the T5 and the T6 but next time I'll ask what's the deal with diesel Drive-E AWD...................
I'd appreciate that. With all the 2.0l 4-cylinder Drive-E engines - both petrol/gas and diesel - being based on the same engine block you would think that haven mated the Drive-E T6 with the Haldex AWD system on a S60/V60 (or indeed any EUCD-platformed Volvo), it would be a relatively easy engineering task to also fit a Drive-E diesel. And with diesel still dominant in Europe (and also here in Australia where you have a choice between petrol or diesel), you would have thought a diesel AWD would be high on Volvo's priority list.

Tony

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd appreciate that. With all the 2.0l 4-cylinder Drive-E engines - both petrol/gas and diesel - being based on the same engine block you would think that haven mated the Drive-E T6 with the Haldex AWD system on a S60/V60 (or indeed any EUCD-platformed Volvo), it would be a relatively easy engineering task to also fit a Drive-E diesel. And with diesel still dominant in Europe (and also here in Australia where you have a choice between petrol or diesel), you would have thought a diesel AWD would be high on Volvo's priority list.

Tony
That's well said. I always wondered why Volvo never made a diesel Drive-E AWD available for the V40 CC but instead went on with the two AWD petrol variants. To my understanding it has never sold that well even with the new petrol engines (well maybe the T4 AWD somewhat better). One would think the D4 with AWD would have been a success in Europe since the car was often criticized for not having a diesel AWD version.

Now this is just based on a hunch but I fear we might not see a diesel Drive-E AWD combo for the EUCD-platform but instead the 5-cylinder D4 and D5 will continue in the program until the SPA lineup is complete. Hopefully I'm wrong..

·
Registered
420 Posts
That's well said. I always wondered why Volvo never made a diesel Drive-E AWD available for the V40 CC but instead went on with the two AWD petrol variants. To my understanding it has never sold that well even with the new petrol engines (well maybe the T4 AWD somewhat better). One would think the D4 with AWD would have been a success in Europe since the car was often criticized for not having a diesel AWD version.

Now this is just based on a hunch but I fear we might not see a diesel Drive-E AWD combo for the EUCD-platform but instead the 5-cylinder D4 and D5 will continue in the program until the SPA lineup is complete. Hopefully I'm wrong..
I hope you're wrong too!! What has intrigued me is what Volvo have done with the AWD version of the V60CC for Europe (and possibly here in Oz). They've taken the 215hp 2.4l 5-cylinder D5 and detuned it down to 190hp (converted it back to single turbo?) to match the Drive-E D4 and rebadged it as a "D4". Now why would they do that? Why not just stick with the 215hp D5 for the V60CC AWD as has been available with the standard V60 AWD. Its almost as if they are deliberately leaving "room at the top" for the Drive-E D5 to slot in as an additional AWD version. Pure speculation on my part but one can live in hope. What somewhat confuses this argument is that the Polestar tune for this detuned D4/D5 pushes the power back up to 220hp.

Also agree on your comments about the V40CC AWD version. Surely it would have made more sense to add the Drive-E D4 as an AWD version rather than adding the T4. Strange decision.

Tony

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now why would they do that? Why not just stick with the 215hp D5 for the V60CC AWD as has been available with the standard V60 AWD. Its almost as if they are deliberately leaving "room at the top" for the Drive-E D5 to slot in as an additional AWD version.
It's quite puzzling yes. Also they did update the D5 to 220hp and for some reason decided it's going for the XC60 and the XC70 only.

I was thinking since the 5-cylinder engines were just now updated to Euro 6 would they discard them so quickly for the Drive-E AWD diesels? The T6 Drive-E AWD is a different story because the Ford plant stopped producing the 6-cylinder engine and now a replacement is needed for that top of the line AWD-version.

Then again, as we have seen so many times Volvo doesn't always make the most logical choices so who knows what else is going to happen in the coming months.

·
Super Moderator
39,274 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
That would be my dream car as well - a V60CC D5 AWD. We shall see.

Tony
I would much prefer the 5 cylinder D6 diesel hybrid AWD any day! Would pass on the clatter-box drive-e 4 cylinder diesel.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'd like that twin charged beast in AWD. My guess is that will replace the the current I6 based R-Design and they would use the remaining engines exclusively for the Polestar and then retire it and put in that triple charged 450HP monster in a new Polestar.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I would much prefer the 5 cylinder D6 diesel hybrid AWD any day! Would pass on the clatter-box drive-e 4 cylinder diesel.
We'll have to simply agree to disagree. While Volvo's 5-cylinder petrol (gas) engines have aged gracefully, IMO Volvo's 5 cylinder diesels have not. In spite of the work done on them over the years they still sound rather agricultural especially under load. In contrast all the Drive-E D4s I've driven - plus a quick drive of a Drive-E D5 in the new XC90 - are much improved on refinement and are - again IMO - more than a match for BMW's new B47 diesel in terms of refinement. We are about to have the V60CC launched here in Australia and the only engine variant available will be the D4 AWD. This "D4" is in fact a de-tuned version of the 2.4l 5-cylinder D5. Had a pre-launch test drive of it last week and while I loved the V60CC itself, the engine while providing a surprising amount of get-up-and-go for its 190hp engine, was still the same crude-sounding diesel. As much as I loved the V60CC itself, I'm simply not going to drop a bundle of money on a car with yesterday's technology.

As for the V60 D6, we don't have it here in Australia, but most reviews I've read of it haven't been particularly flattering about either its driving dynamics (with all the extra weight of the batteries and motor), or its real life fuel economy.

Tony

·
Registered
420 Posts
The T6 Drive-E AWD was submitted to and has been certified by the US EPA... Months ago. That's something, I guess.

http://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=35636&flag=1

Edit: Note that I went looking for these months ago and they weren't visible until more recently. Still nothing for a T5 Drive-E AWD or Hybrid.
Sorry, had a look at your attachment and couldn't find any reference to an AWD Drive-E vehicle. Seemed to be all FWD Drive-E engines (as identified by the 8-speed auto). Is this what you are referring to in your Edit note?

Tony

1 - 20 of 43 Posts