SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your car has a 2.0 D3 163bhp (D5204T3) motor, and has developed poor throttle response / turbo lag below 2,000rpm in higher gears, Volvo has apparently issued a service bulletin about it.

I have not been able to get a copy of the bulletin either from the dealer or Volvo Cars UK, but I will describe the situation, and what the dealer told me, as well as I can here. I don't know if it affects other model / engine variants, unfortunately.

I had my 2011 V60 D3 (163bhp) serviced this week, at 1 year and 13,000 miles from new.

On an extended drive the day after the service, I found that throttle response and torque delivery in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gears had decreased VERY noticeably in the 1,500rpm – 2,000rpm band, compared with before the service was done.

Before the service (and all through my year of ownership from new), throttle response in the 1,500 - 2,000rpm band was quick, and torque delivery was strong immediately in any gear. After the service, there seemed to be at least a second or more of 'turbo lag' in the higher gears before the car really started pulling.

If the engine was above 2,000rpm, throttle response seemed normal, but between 1,500rpm and 2,000 the car is now sluggish and laggy. Which is bad, because this rev range is where I spend a lot of my time on UK roads. For example, a 40-60mph 'passing' acceleration in 4th gear before the service was a repeatable 5.1 - 5.2 seconds on my private test road (which is pretty much what published road test data says it should be).

On exactly the same stretch of road, it's now 6.2 - 6.3 seconds at best after the service.

I reported to the dealer, they told me it's a known issue, and that Volvo has issued a service bulletin about it. My symptoms are "almost identical to the description in the bulletin", according to the dealer.

They say the fix is a 'turbo adaptation', which involves following a defined road-test routine (presumably using full throttle to demand full boost) with an OBD device in the car, then stopping, putting the car in 'sleep mode' with a special key sequence on the remote keyfob, then waking it up and following the road-test routine again. I'm guessing this is something to do with the stepper motor on the VNT mechanism.

Apparently the dealer (Rybrook Volvo, Warrington, they've been very helpful) has done several of these procedures in recent weeks, and all have been successful.

They couldn't tell me why it had happened now, after a year and 13,000 very happy miles, but they are confident the process will fix the problem. They say it could not have been any software update during the service ... but I think it's a BIG coincidence that the car's driving characteristics changed during the time they had it in their service bay ...

Anyway, I will report back next week when the dealer has done the 'adaptation'.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An update to the above - the 'adaption' procedure worked, normal lag-free performance is restored.

Apparently the Volvo bulletin only applies to the D5204T2/3 2.0 litre 163bhp single-turbo engine used in the D3 variants, and it also lists certain chassis numbers too.

The dealer says the bulletin does not mention a cause for the problem. My personal suspicion is that it might be caused by connecting the car to the diagnostic computer, sending the VNT stepper motor out of calibration.

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone with similar symptoms.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll wait for your comments :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 'fix' worked perfectly, the Volvo service bulletin reference number for this is B1 25039 in case anyone has the same problem :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2012 XC60 has the same engine mentioned above by 'craigv60'. Approximately 3 weeks ago the car started having exactly the same symptoms while driving on highway. I took the car to the local service immediately and described the issue without having the advice from this thread. After quick ODB testing (I was waiting in the showroom and browsing a new XC60 model meanwhile ...) the service manager came to inform me that they found an ECU fault/malfunction message which said 'high turbo pressure' and they suggested to replace the Turbo Fuel Regulator to fix this issue. I accepted their suggested fix. After we took the car for a test drive together and the fix thought to work as we did not experience the issue afterwards. Last week when I was driving the car in Germany I noticed the same engine hesitation issue again, so took the car back to the service and also printed out the above suggested method. I showed the method to the service manager and the mechanic who then referred me to the invoice which also listed the ECU software update and the turbo adaptation items besides the Turbo Fuel Regulator replacement. However they said that it would not hurt to perform the turbo adaptation again. After half an hour the car was ready for the next test drive and the mechanic said that before the adaptation process the same ECU fault message was appeared on the OBD and the adaptation did not clear it out at all. During the test drive we had the same engine hesitation, so the adaptation process did not seem to fix the issue. The mechanic was puzzled and said that he would contact Volvo help desk if they can advice for the cause and fix. This was today and now I am looking forward to their phone call. Has anybody experienced the same issue or have any idea? Thanks, Attila

1 - 5 of 5 Posts