SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car disc brakes get that rusty look after I wash my car. One day after I washed it, I put the car in the garage and didn't drive it for 4 days. When I did get inside took the parking brake off and put it in 1st gear the car was stuck. Seems like the pads and disc corrosion bonded. When I revved it up to free it, the rear brake pad is abnormal. I drove 600 miles on business and I noticed something was grinding at low speeds. The rim was dirtier than the others and now my disc has a small groove from something making contact.

I pulled the wheel and brake caliper off and I didn't notice anything physically wrong with it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: rusty brake disc during car wash (sinisin63)

I drive a V70R 2005.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

The rust and sticking brakes after a wash you describe are fairly common occurrences. I left some nice skid marks in my garage trying to break them free about a year ago.

Sounds like something got caught in between the pad or caliper and rim. Had that happen with a piece of gravel this winter and it made the most awful noise imaginable. Popped right out though, and not too much the worse for wear. I'd imagine something similar happened to you, and imagine that it occurring at highway speeds would (unfortunately) cause some grooving.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: rusty brake disc during car wash (Turbos60)

I had to return to my business trip, this time I drove my VW GTI. My friend tells me that maybe my emergency brake is acting up. He said he'll help me out once I get back in mid June. I'll post the results/findings.

Thanks,

Armando

·
Registered
431 Posts

The emergency brake is inside the rotor hat, so that's likely not your issue, especially since you see the groove on the disk. I would think after sitting that long, a piece of the brake pad came off and stuck onto the rotor.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well I've taken the caliper off again and still see nothing wrong with the pads. I've driven it several times now and I believe it is the emergency brake. Several times when I release the e-brake and then put the car in reverse I hear a loud popping sound of metal. I have to locate where the emergency brake is adjusted at and verify adjustment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts