SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New quirk with the S70...

When filling the tank completely, the car will stumble badly at idle, between 500 and 1200 rpm. Often, it feels like it is going to die but then catches itself. This happens ONLY after filling the car up 100%, and once I burn a little fuel it goes away, idling smoothly. (This was 93oct at two different gas stations in two different states, so it most likely wasn't bad gas.)

The car had a P0400 code, "Evap System Malfunction." I cleaned out the purge valve mounted on the cooling fan shroud, and the code has not come back in 1000 miles. Think it's at fault perhaps, even though there's no code and all of the readiness monitors are set?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Have you tried putting on a new gas cap that has a fresh seal?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't, but I've checked the seal and it still *seems* soft, and there is no fuel odor around the fuel cap when I pop the fuel door. (Stuck my nose in)

Also threw another (junkyard) purge valve on yesterday with no problems to report since. I'll be filling up later today again and will report whether it runs well or poorly.

·
Registered
572 Posts
When you say filled 100%, do you mean the pump clicks off, & you're done, or do you keep topping it up until it can't pump any more fuel into the filler neck (overfilling)?

·
Registered
91 Posts
As I remember, the evap. purge valve is good if you can blow air through it. Check the rubber vacuum line attaching to it. The other end pushes onto a small blue plastic tube and is prone to rotting. The rubber hose is only about 4 inches long.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard the opposite, that it is BAD if you can blow air through it. Now I wonder...! Mine does not let air through. Hmmm... I did check those short rubber tubes though, they are intact with no leaks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Okay, I was wrong. It's good if you can't blow through it. I had to go to the garage and blow through my spare. Sorry I can't be of more help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts