SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Running rich, rough idle, no CEL...bad MAF?

9K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  sony2000 
#1 ·
My C70 has been randomly running rough at idle, and very rich...black smoke. I cleaned the maf Thurs, and it seemed to go away. Then yesterday on a 3+ hour trip it started again. It was fine when I started the trip, up until I got gas about 90 mins later. I began to think back, and it seems every time I drive her for a few hours straight this happens. No CEL, no codes on an over the counter OBD tool. Does it sound like a failing MAF? Yes I have searched, and it seems that most people at least get a CEL or codes, some both. That's why I'm asking a noob question. Should I just buy a MAF and go from there or spend $90 to be hooked up to the Volvo dealerships diagnostic machine?

Modified by ckevg at 1:14 PM 8-10-2009

#3 ·
Re: Running rich, rough idle, no CEL...bad MAF? (mune237)

It's a '99. I've looked for vacuum leaks but couldn't find anything loose. I remember reading something about the fuel rail on a post that might produce the same symptoms. I can't find that thread though, any clue as to what in relation to the fuel rail it could be?

Thanks!

#6 ·
Re: (mune237)

It's not lighting up a start up anymore. It was working two weeks ago when I had it serviced. They changed my oil, plugs, wires, air filter ..etc as part of the deal when I bought it. I'm thinking now maybe it came on after they worked on it, and that they disabled it somehow. It wasn't a Volvo dealership that I bought it from. Is there a fuse for it, or does the dash have to come apart?

#7 ·
Re: (mune237)

first thing is first i would find out about the history on the ETM there might have been a recall that year, for software, i kinda had simpler problem. second what kinda of plugs are you using? with the black smoke you could have crankcase ventilation problems or a failing turbo? my car still start like poop ever 1/25 start ups or so.

G
#8 ·
Re: (ckevg)

Quote, originally posted by ckevg »
It's not lighting up a start up anymore. It was working two weeks ago when I had it serviced. They changed my oil, plugs, wires, air filter ..etc as part of the deal when I bought it. I'm thinking now maybe it came on after they worked on it, and that they disabled it somehow. It wasn't a Volvo dealership that I bought it from. Is there a fuse for it, or does the dash have to come apart?

give them the benifit of the doubt. bulbs do burn out. now if the bulb was not there when you went to change it then thats a different story. CEL no fuse, bulb. don't be quick to blame a ETM, especially if the car is not up to spec. there's a huge to do list about stage zero on volvospeed.com

#9 ·
I've been out of town for a while, thanks for the replies. I didn't drive the car, but now it's acting really strange. It's vibrating really bad, missing/fluttering(??) and the exhaust smoke has changed from black to blueish gray. BTW the CEL bulb was missing! I guess it's time to call AAA and have it towed to a Volvo mechanic!!!!

#11 ·
Re: (ckevg)

Quote, originally posted by ckevg »
Here are my codes. I'm interpreting this as my problems are caused by a bad MAF and front O2 sensor:

agreed I would go with MAF first ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.