SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My C70 has been randomly running rough at idle, and very rich...black smoke. I cleaned the maf Thurs, and it seemed to go away. Then yesterday on a 3+ hour trip it started again. It was fine when I started the trip, up until I got gas about 90 mins later. I began to think back, and it seems every time I drive her for a few hours straight this happens. No CEL, no codes on an over the counter OBD tool. Does it sound like a failing MAF? Yes I have searched, and it seems that most people at least get a CEL or codes, some both. That's why I'm asking a noob question. Should I just buy a MAF and go from there or spend $90 to be hooked up to the Volvo dealerships diagnostic machine?<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by ckevg at 1:14 PM 8-10-2009</i>

·
Registered
605 Posts
Re: Running rich, rough idle, no CEL...bad MAF? (ckevg)

interesting...some folks get CELs without codes<p>anyhow....my experience is bad MAFs = CELs<p>btw: what year C70 ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Running rich, rough idle, no CEL...bad MAF? (mune237)

It's a '99. I've looked for vacuum leaks but couldn't find anything loose. I remember reading something about the fuel rail on a post that might produce the same symptoms. I can't find that thread though, any clue as to what in relation to the fuel rail it could be?<p>Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Solved part of it. Apparently my CEL indicator isn't working anymore! What would cause that? A shady mechanic?

·
Registered
605 Posts
is the bulb working? does it lite up at start up?<p>Whens the last time you had the ETM cleaned / serviced?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (mune237)

It's not lighting up a start up anymore. It was working two weeks ago when I had it serviced. They changed my oil, plugs, wires, air filter ..etc as part of the deal when I bought it. I'm thinking now maybe it came on after they worked on it, and that they disabled it somehow. It wasn't a Volvo dealership that I bought it from. Is there a fuse for it, or does the dash have to come apart?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Re: (mune237)

first thing is first i would find out about the history on the ETM there might have been a recall that year, for software, i kinda had simpler problem. second what kinda of plugs are you using? with the black smoke you could have crankcase ventilation problems or a failing turbo? my car still start like poop ever 1/25 start ups or so.

G

·
Re: (ckevg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>ckevg</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's not lighting up a start up anymore. It was working two weeks ago when I had it serviced. They changed my oil, plugs, wires, air filter ..etc as part of the deal when I bought it. I'm thinking now maybe it came on after they worked on it, and that they disabled it somehow. It wasn't a Volvo dealership that I bought it from. Is there a fuse for it, or does the dash have to come apart?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>give them the benifit of the doubt. bulbs do burn out. now if the bulb was not there when you went to change it then thats a different story. CEL no fuse, bulb. don't be quick to blame a ETM, especially if the car is not up to spec. there's a huge to do list about stage zero on volvospeed.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been out of town for a while, thanks for the replies. I didn't drive the car, but now it's acting really strange. It's vibrating really bad, missing/fluttering(??) and the exhaust smoke has changed from black to blueish gray. BTW the CEL bulb was missing! I guess it's time to call AAA and have it towed to a Volvo mechanic!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Here are my codes. I'm interpreting this as my problems are caused by a bad MAF and front O2 sensor:<p>0134<br>0171<br>0300<br>0650<br>1171<br>1174<br>

·
Registered
16,965 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>ckevg</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here are my codes. I'm interpreting this as my problems are caused by a bad MAF and front O2 sensor:<p>0134<br>0171<br>0300<br>0650<br>1171<br>1174<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>agreed I would go with MAF first ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts