SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's good info in this thread where I got the idea to try it out. http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=39142
Besides the obvious lovely turbo noise and pressure release sounds that you get
, the car did feel quicker and smoother at higher rpm. Obviously on turbo cars the air intake temperature is not as important as N/A cars, with heatsoak the stock intercoolers are not able to cool down the temps enough and that's why we run into problems. So running open airbox would seem like a good idea since cool air is now able to flow into the engine bay through the stock snorkel as well as the IPD snorkel continuously cooling things down a bit. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Re: Running Open Airbox (xman03)

Are you talking about a stock airbox and a stock hood? because if so, the engine bay gets quite hot. The reason that the air box is closed is to keep this hot air out, adding another inlet like the ipd/r kelly one is to keep positive pressure in the box (like opening it up would do) and keep the air temperatures down. If you have an aftermarket intercooler, more power to you, open that airbox up because it doesnt matter. right?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Running Open Airbox (2004volvos60R)

Quote, originally posted by 2004volvos60R »
Are you talking about a stock airbox and a stock hood? because if so, the engine bay gets quite hot. The reason that the air box is closed is to keep this hot air out, adding another inlet like the ipd/r kelly one is to keep positive pressure in the box (like opening it up would do) and keep the air temperatures down. If you have an aftermarket intercooler, more power to you, open that airbox up because it doesnt matter. right?

If you read the linked thread, the air coming in was cooler at moderate speeds with the cover off. The airbox itself gets pretty hot and warms the air inside. Without the cover cool air still goes by the filter in greater quantities and cools the bay more.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts

I tried this out but I feel like I lost power up top when running on the highway.. Maybe it's just me. But low end seems to be better.

·
Registered
764 Posts

I suppose that would be beneficial when driving on the highway or even the track, if its not too hot out, but in traffic i feel like it would only harm you. wouldnt you be better off leaving the cover on, adding an ipd intake to the airbox, and then another one with the hose just leading into the engine bay for cooling in there? i will read the link, sorry for not doing that before.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Quote, originally posted by xman03 »
I do have the IPD intake which actually should be able to push more air since it's no longer restricted.

Not likely but you never know.

There's only one way to know for sure.....log IAT's.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: Running Open Airbox (Needsdecaf)

I did this to my T5. It sounded VERY nice indeed. And honestly, it was peppier at lower speeds. Couldn't really tell on the highway. But I did notice decreased performance in stop and go traffic in the summer (downtown Boston traffic). It may worth a try.

I'm wondering if I could rig some sort of snorkel to blow cool air over the filter, ram air style, just like we have cooler air coming from underneath with the current CAI designs. And I don't mean an Evolve hood grill, I wouldn't install one of those.

EDIT: I tried to find a pic of the setup. Must be on a disk somewhere. I molded a custom box out of an aluminum sheet with weatherstripping along the top, luch larger than stock, and mounted a cone K&N to the MAF. It was shaped close enough to the contour of the hood and high enough that the hood compressed it a bit when it was closed. I ran a hose into the side of that aluminum box from just behind the grill.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm running an open intake now using my old JWT intake, from my nissan (maxima) days, coupled with the "R" Kelly intake. I must say that there is a noticeable difference, probably because of the velocity stack which provides a venturi effect accelerating the air to the MAF. The sound is also nice.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (carlosR)

Quote, originally posted by carlosR »
I had to replace my MAF sensor because of this setup. Maybe you will have better luck but be warned it can happen.

How exactly would/did it hurt the MAF sensor?

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Re: (IwantaS60R)

Quote, originally posted by IwantaS60R »
I'm running an open intake now using my old JWT intake, from my nissan (maxima) days, coupled with the "R" Kelly intake. I must say that there is a noticeable difference, probably because of the velocity stack which provides a venturi effect accelerating the air to the MAF. The sound is also nice.

Pictures?

I've been running the open airbox all winter long with zero issues. To me it feels a bit more responsive at lower speeds. But most of all, I like the sound.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: Running Open Airbox (crimnlmnded)

It was different than I recalled. I thought I cut it to contour to the hood but I remember now it was rattling really bad, so I redesigned it like this. Not as effective at isolating all the hot air from the engine, but its "back was to most of the heat", the snorkel fed into the box below the filter, and the engine bay of the T5 was more open to the ground by the battery.

Sh8kdown has a sweet design in the other "Post pics of your air box" thread that was just started. Something like that would be sweet, and is worth messing with during the weekends for me!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.