SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story time! Gather round.
So, about a year ago, just as the leaves began to turn, something came on the first cold Minnesota wind of the season. Some say it was a gremlin. Some say it was a disturbed spirit. Or perhaps it was just a car's version of a head cold. All we know for sure is, it's prey was my poor 2006 S60R. One morning, without any particular warning, the radiator fan began turning on with the engine, regardless of the engines temperature. It would kick on within seconds of startup and crank to full blast, and would not turn off until I turned off the engine. The temperature gauge seemed to read true and never read warmer than the middle mark, but was mildly annoying, and I figured it can't be good for the fan to run full blast like that all the time.
I took my stricken R into my local shop, and they revealed that the ECU had become... possessed! The demon had found its way into the system and was manifesting itself in the part of the computer that regulates the engines tempurature, sticking the thermostat wide open and cranking the fan to full blast. They said a re-flash should expel the unholy creature, but that it was beyond their capability. They would send my R to a local expert who would perform the actual exorcism, freeing my car of evil. It did work, but it wasn't cheap. With Boost Season in full swing, and my R unhanded by the devil, we carried on.
But.
But!
And again, BUT!
The winds of change have returned to Minnesota, turning the colors on the trees.
And with it, THE SPIRIT!
Some say it has returned at a time of weakness.
Some say... It never left.
All we do know is, exactly one year later, at the first cold snap, IT STRIKES AGAIN.
Leaving me clueless. I will of course take it back to my shop to see if they'll refund the reflash, but in all due seriousness, it was either performed incorrectly or it simply didn't work. Anyone have any clues as to the gremlin that haunts my R?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Faulty part? Looks cheaper than a reflash!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
When your ac is not charged to the right pressure it will run non stop as you described to try and cool the condenser. I had my ac drained for about a week after my motor swap and until I had it charged the fan stayed on whenever I turned the car on.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Clear the AC code with VIDA or disconnect the battery and it'll go away for awhile. Or charge your AC

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
And your ecu has no control of the thermostat. The temperature of the coolant opens and closes it. I think you need someone with vida to scan your car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm should've said "'as if' the thermostat was wide open."
So an uncharged AC could cause it to kick on? Mine has never been charged properly since I bought the car. The system was bone dry when I bought it, didn't have it leak checked but I had it charged. Then it worked, but it wasn't long at all before you could hear spaces in the system and I'm sure by fall's close last year it was bone dry again. I had other things to spend money on, and usually drive with the windows down anyway, so I haven't taken the time to get it fixed. The only thing is the AC has never held a charge, but this issue has only cropped up twice, both times in cooler temps.
Also interesting you mentioned boost pressure Hanks. These last couple weeks have actually been the first time the boost has been at its best. When I bought the car it had an iPd silicone charge pipe, and when I threw an Elevate exhaust on with a friend a month or so ago I found the pipe has apparently had a tear in it ever since I bought the car. Got a deal on iPd's boostability kit to replace it and now it's a whole new car. So boost pressure may play a part as well?
As for the fan I don't think it's unhealthily loud, it's just on full blast all the time now. The most interesting correlation to me is that both times, last fall and now, the issue coincided with the first cold snap of the season. May just be coincidence, but odd.

·
2,521 Posts
BPS OR!! Does your A/C work? I dun poked a hole in my condensor and all the fluid leaked out so the system is empty. When I go on the highway, fan turns on and I get a code for the A/C pressure sensor. I clear the codes and the fan turns off. When it was really hot and Im in a residental area, it gets stuck on with the code too

·
Registered
386 Posts
I also have this weird issue. My fan runs like crazy when the weather is cool. Like fall and spring. Very weird.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
There's also a TNN for it in the older cars.

TNN 28-55-2005-02-09 Title: Engine Controls - Cooling Fan On/DTC 2000 Set
Model Year 2003-2004, when the engine is started in very cold temperatures, the customer may also have noticed that the cooling fan was running at engine start. An engine Software is now available to address this condition.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure that TNN was what they reflashed my R with. My R is an 06 not 04, but hey, it worked for a year.
Is that BPS/IAT sensor the one that goes in the turbo inlet? I just installed iPd's silicone unit, and while I'm quite happy with it, let's just say I do NOT feel like yanking that thing back out...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If your running oem ic. The sensor is mounted on the intercooler on the drivers side of the car.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
BPS is right under the airbox on the tube that goes from the IC to the throttle body.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

On the ic right before piping starts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah! Good.
Development! It's warmed up to 76 degrees here today, and in the warmer weather, the fan kicked on when I started the car at work but turned off by the time I got home! Is this a clue?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Replace that sensor if you don't want to get vida then report back. The only 100% way ensure your solving the issue before buying parts is to scan with vida.

·
2,521 Posts
I got that sensor for $25 from PelicanParts. Probs could find it on amazon too

1 - 20 of 21 Posts