SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First rain of the season, start car out in the dark, turn on wipers, they go straight up and stop, generator light comes on, little blue fuse popped. Fiddled with it out in the rain 10 minutes, then took other car to work. Any ideas where wiper motor could be shorting, it worked last week when I changed blades and tested it out.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
First rain of the season, start car out in the dark, turn on wipers, they go straight up and stop, generator light comes on, little blue fuse popped. Fiddled with it out in the rain 10 minutes, then took other car to work. Any ideas where wiper motor could be shorting, it worked last week when I changed blades and tested it out.

Thanks.
When you changed the blades what other work did you do on the car?

George Dill

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just changed blades. Did clean up the fuse box in past. Did the adaptation to the fuse box to fit regular size fuse this evening, wipers run fine all 3 speeds, no gen light, added fan, gen light came on blew fuse. new fuse, wipers fine on own, turn off wiper, run fan and gen light dim, shut off fan. Have used fan in past with no issue.

Rain-x on windshield, will just go without either until I have time to spend on it this weekend.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I'd start with measuring current on both the wipers and the fan motor, to figure out where the biggest problem is.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guessing fan motor, never seemed to blow very hard, but did not know what to expect from 45 year old car. What should it read for current pull?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Not entirely sure, but if it's anything close to the fuse rating that's your problem. And something on that circuit will be close in order to pop it when everything's on.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Maybe time to lube the shafts the wipers hook to the part that goes through the cowl. Shade tree guy I am I pulled the whole works out and drilled a hole into the aluminium, inserted a zerk, and pumped grease in untill it came out both ends. Then I just covered the holes with some RTV. Low temp grease is a good idea here.

I was going to take them apart but I didn't want to ruin the little bushing the wiper arm fits on. If you've ever lost one in the rain you'll know why !

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is only when wiper motor running. Does the wiper have an exclusive connector going to the Fuse link? Searching for best place to check the draw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts