SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
55,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Teknikens Världs is reporting a potential new S60 on the horizen and speculate that it may be a V8 offer. We certainly look forward to more HP and a sequential transmission but a V8, we're not so sure the U.S. would see it given the 4-cyl and hybrid engines in the pipeline.

English Translation:

Volvo and Polestar Performance sharpen their cooperation.

Today we can exclusively show that the Volvo S60 is something to be reckoned with on the Autobahn. Here are the first pictures of S60 with up to 400 horsepower or even more, taken by a reader of the Swedish car magazine Teknikens Värld.

This camouflaged and strange Volvo S60 is expected to be Volvos answer to the BMW M3 and the Mercedes C 63 AMG. Polestar is Volvos partner in Racing and they also deliver some tuning for Volvo that been sold via the Volvo dealers. And I’m pretty sure you all remember the C30 Polestar (PCP) that was praised by everyone including us, and Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear.

According to the registration office, the car in the pictures is a T6 AWD with 304 horsepower. But we believe this car has an engine that delivers more, much more. Some rumors belive that there is a V8 under the hood of this S60, the Yamaha made V8 that’s also found in the XC90. But in the world of down-sizing we expect that the inline six cylinder from the T6 has been tuned to deliver some 350-400 wild horses instead. According to the vehicle data, it is an automatic car, the S60. But if we know Polestar right, it might be a sequential box of some kind which would make more sense. Maybe there will be an optional six-speed manual transmission as well. In view of the Pole Star's success in motorsports, especially with the new TTA car, we can assume that a lot of technology from motorsport piece takes place in this Polestar-built performance-S60. Lightweight materials like aluminum and carbon fiber is said to have a molded space for perfect balance and class winning handling.

Exactly what the camouflage of the car in the pictures is hiding we do not know, but we see clearly that something has happened to the fenders. These are clearly much wider then on a normal S60, and the wheels are also much wider to deliver maximum grip. Together with the AWD this could mean some real competition to the power Germans M3 and Co. Thanks for Teknikens Värld for letting us have these photos. Also check out their site for more information regarding the Volvo S60 from Polestar:

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/2012/05/22/31587/avslojat-volvo-s60-ska-spoa-bmw-m3/

Photo credit: teknikensvarld.se for CarPix

·
Registered
274 Posts
This can't be a V8.... has to be some kind of hybrid considering where Volvo's headed with engine tech. Could be an early facelift??

·
Administrator
55,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the spy photographer saw a rear "T8" badge, then it is not a V8 but a hybrid, which is much more in the realm of possibility. We didn't think T8 was clear but perhaps the final production offering will have a more identifiable badge.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Please Volvo, something with which to challenge the M3...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nice photos but it's pointless to me that Volvo should go to lengths to cover up the front of the car when they've clearly shown the grille and badge. If it was to hide inserts like cooling vents on the front, they could have just put a section of that camouflage transfer on the bonnet.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Isn't it more likely that this is a SPA platform test mule?

·
Administrator
55,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi-res picts:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If Volvo made a 400+ S60 with a V8 and a manual I think I would die on the spot of sheer happiness.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If Volvo made a 400+ S60 with a V8 and a manual I think I would die on the spot of sheer happiness.
Heck, a v8 and sequential box would do that for me. Anything but a GT slushbox, please [I know. I own one!]

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Since a hybrid is more likely than a v8, and assuming we were to get a performance sequential or dual clutch system, how much weight would the hybrid system add?

Volvo has claimed turbo4's with 300+hp would be in their future lineup. So let's be conservative and say the engine puts out 300hp. Add another 100hp with two electric motors on the rear axle. 400hp total output [and lots of low-end torque. Yum!] This could allow for AWD without the need for troublesome angle gears and collars that wear out.

Match that power with some large 350mm brembo brakes, bigger sway bars, wider tires, and you have a force to be reckoned with...and decent gas mileage.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Even if they do build an amazing car they probably won't produce it. Just like the Polestar C30. How the hell did that awesome machine turn into a $1500 ECU tune? If you build a vehicle to excite enthusiasts and refuse to offer the product it kills anything gained by the effort.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Even if they do build an amazing car they probably won't produce it. Just like the Polestar C30. How the hell did that awesome machine turn into a $1500 ECU tune? If you build a vehicle to excite enthusiasts and refuse to offer the product it kills anything gained by the effort.
Agree 100% They really need to step up their offerings. And they need to not rape the US of all the good models :(

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If you build a vehicle to excite enthusiasts and refuse to offer the product it kills anything gained by the effort.
:( I think Volvo doesn't quite understand the very important term for marketing. A 'teaser' isn't only for teasing, you eventually have to follow up with a real product :(

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
:( I think Volvo doesn't quite understand the very important term for marketing. A 'teaser' isn't only for teasing, you eventually have to follow up with a real product :(
It took Toyota a few years to fulfill their teaser of a new rwd "sports" car [and a lot of help from Subaru]. Let's see if Volvo can follow up on theirs. :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It took Toyota a few years to fulfill their teaser of a new rwd "sports" car [and a lot of help from Subaru]. Let's see if Volvo can follow up on theirs. :facepalm:
With the assistance of Mitsubishi Electric, lol

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder if Volvo really DID stuff a V8 into there!!! :D Hopefully so! To hell with that hybrid "sports-car" crap, it doesn't work. Too much weight, no chance for modding, expensive as hell to fix, and those used batteries aren't helping nature in the slightest. And all that for very modest MPG gains...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Bigger brakes, a better gear box, and rwd is all Volvo needs to turn the r-design into something memorable. A V8 would be nice...but might be too Lexus IS F-ish. Would have to see how it would be tuned, etc.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
It seems everyone is guessing. I read an article stating it was being designed to have more HP than the M3 and at 500 HP they think it is a turbo charged V8. I think everyone is just taking wild guesses and no one has any real info.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts