SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two things going on now:
When making a fast turn (usually a right turn) I am pressing in the break and I’m hearing some type of gurgling coming from the back - almost sounds like gravel hitting underneath the car but I’m certainly not on dirt roads.

Also, my breaks have been squeaking a lot. I’ve already had new break pads out in and new rotors (all done after about 6000 miles). I was told break squeaking was normal the second time I had it checked and that it’s no big deal. I’ve never had squeaking breaks in a new car.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
That noise could be the drivetrain moving a bit if you are breaking hard while turning fast, the driveshaft and transmission will want to shift weight. That's possible.

Or it's your muffler bearings. :D

The brakes should not be squeaking/squealing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The brakes should not be squeaking/squealing.
Mine does this maybe the first couple times I stop (after letting the car sit for a while), but then it's quiet after that. Should that be happening?

FWIW, I used to have a 3 Series that did the same thing and the dealership told me it was normal. They claimed even a Porsche (which they also sold) would do the same thing with the materials used for modern brakes. I kind of gave it a sideways glance but I didn't know enough about braking systems to challenge it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Brake before you enter the turn and then accelerate out of it. The noise you are hearing is probably the tires loosing traction.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Mine does this maybe the first couple times I stop (after letting the car sit for a while), but then it's quiet after that. Should that be happening?

FWIW, I used to have a 3 Series that did the same thing and the dealership told me it was normal. They claimed even a Porsche (which they also sold) would do the same thing with the materials used for modern brakes. I kind of gave it a sideways glance but I didn't know enough about braking systems to challenge it.
If it has rained out or you washed the car and the rotors got wet and then the car sat a build up of rust like material will form on the rotor surface which is a chemical reaction between iron and hydrogen (water and oxygen) which will give a weird scraping sound once you begin to move and the pads are rubbing that material off. Normally they should not be squeaking though. I've actually never had a vehicle where the brakes squeaked. From 88 & 93 Honda Accord to a 91 Toyota MR2 to a twin turbo Mitsubishi 3000 GT, to a '15 Lexus RX hybrid, to a '95 Volvo 850 T5-R with 35K miles on the odo. None of them ever had squeaky brakes, even the cars I had with aftermarket brakes such as AEM slotted and drilled rotors, Wilwood slotted rotors, Baer brake kit with slotted rotors, etc.

It could be the brake pad material that Volvo uses. Or maybe if you just got the car washed and your rotors have the tire shine substance on them. Or if you come out of a car wash and there is water on them, before the pad can clear off that moisture there will be some strange noises and a grabby feel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it has rained out or you washed the car and the rotors got wet and then the car sat a build up of rust like material will form on the rotor surface which is a chemical reaction between iron and hydrogen (water and oxygen) which will give a weird scraping sound once you begin to move and the pads are rubbing that material off. Normally they should not be squeaking though.
I definitely know what you're referring to regarding the sound of the rotors getting wet/drying and then using the brakes the first couple of times. My car basically does the same thing when it's dry, but it's a squeak versus a scraping noise. It's always just the first couple of times I stop.

Like you, with the exception of the '15 3-Series I had, none of my other cars did this (some had aftermarket pads/rotors).

Maybe I'll stop by the dealer just to have them look at it. Thanks for the thorough reply!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got my car back last week. Breaks still squeak and they found nothing wrong with the rumbling that I was hearing. Kind of like a creaking sound but I’ll get used to it. I’ll try and take slower turns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same exact thing when I turn to quick and accelerate. It almost sounds like stuff is rubbing against each other. I have only had it do it a few times, when I try to replicate it doesn't do it though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Two things going on now:
When making a fast turn (usually a right turn) I am pressing in the break and I’m hearing some type of gurgling coming from the back - almost sounds like gravel hitting underneath the car but I’m certainly not on dirt roads.

Also, my breaks have been squeaking a lot. I’ve already had new break pads out in and new rotors (all done after about 6000 miles). I was told break squeaking was normal the second time I had it checked and that it’s no big deal. I’ve never had squeaking breaks in a new car.
OH MY GOD!!! 6000 miles for new brake pads and rotors??!! what did they give you for a reason as to why this happened?? why were the pads and rotors so beat up that you had to change them at 6000???

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No particular reason but yes, I was concerned.

I changed my driving and started making slower turns but when I turn right I get the clunking/creaking/gurgling sound. My car does not sound “new” at all. I’m disappointed because I love the looks of the car and the features but I’ve had too many issues within a year.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks are important. After all, its the first thing that starts the attraction. But its just like being with a pretty woman, Right? - after a while you start looking for dependability and issues start to matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts