SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving my 2001 2.4T for about a month, and I'm noticing that front tires are rubbing against the wheel wells when turning the car either left or right. Happens in U-turns, lane changes, etc. I checked with a tire wholesale website and they say rotating/balancing the tires will not solve the problem. What should my dealership do to correct this? If possible I don't want to downsize to 16 inch wheels and tires. Handling and ride is great with the 17 series! Overall my first Volvo is awesome!!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
The 17-inch wheels should not be rubbing at all if you have the right sized tires. The tires on your car should be 235/45/17. Is this what you have? If this is what you have, then you might go to the dealer to see what the problem is.<P>-Drew

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had the same problem since i have had my car as well, I even changed from the P6( since i had to replace four of them in 6months....thats another long story) to Toyo FZR Proxes and the rubbing continues. Im running 235/45ZR-17. I feel that tire size is to big or maybe we are running the wrong tire pressure? Who know but as soon as my car gets state side I will bring it to a dealer with some since to get this problem worked out.<P>Chris<BR>2001 S60 T5<P>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drew,<P>I do have the 235/45 17 tires--P6s from Pirelli. I'm calling the dealership to see what they can do to fix the problem. <P>Eric<BR>

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I have 16" tires but also have the sport suspension. One thing I notice (that I don't like) is the limited turning radius. I think this is because of the sport suspension. I thought that the 17" tires were designed to be used in conjuction with the sport suspension which limited the turning of the wheels. If you have 17" tires with the standard suspension, then maybe you are getting more turn in than they will allow for.<P>Just a though...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Freeworld,<P>Are you driving the T5 then? Mine is a 2.4T with optional 17inch wheels/tires that dealer had in stock in the color I wanted. I didn't order this size combination, car was equipped from the factory this way. Limited turning radius could very well be the problem here. I'll (hopefully) have an answer and a fix when the dealership looks at it. Thanks for the thought.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
emac2001,<BR>Yes. I have a T5 with the optional sport suspension, but with 16" wheels. (Not a bad combination of handling and comfort IMHO :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have read about this at volvospy from someone who had the base model with 17" wheels, he needed to have the steering stops from a T5 installed in his car, this stopped the probelm. I would get your dealer to make sure you have the biggest stops available (from the sport suspension T5 I would imagine) and it should stop the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Scott M,<P>I'll have the dealer check the steering stops on my 2.4T. Thanks for the info! Very helpful!!<P>eric m<P>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts