SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my knobs have become sticky and pretty nasty looking. I took the radio knobs off and cleaned off the rubber coating using Purple Power. They look much nicer. A matte black, just like the knobs looked when new.

I'm tempted to do the same with the climate control knobs, but I'm not sure if the markings on the knobs are from the coating or if the coating is just added on top of the design. Basically I don't want all white knobs once i strip the coating off.

Anyone have experience with this?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I replaced my radio knobs with new. You can purchase those.
And the answer to your question: yes, you can remove that sticky mess from climate control knobs. I have a set cleaned up and ready to go in.

Just a heads up, climate control knobs are clipped in and are a pain to remove. But it is doable.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!! What did you end up using to refinish the climate control? And how did you keep the fan symbol on there?

·
Registered
876 Posts
What you see is the finish under that sticky mess. I just wiped it off.
And do not worry, symbols will not come off. It's a part of that white plastic you can see inside the knob (and it's backlit)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. When I cleaned off the coating on the radio knobs it was smooth. I just went out and managed to easily remove the fan knob. I couldn't get the two temp control knobs off. My fingers started to hurt so I gave up for now.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Heh, I had this problem with my fan control knob as well. I ended up just wiping off the rubbery texture with a cloth and some cleaner while the knob was still on and still had pleasing results.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol. I just went out and tried again. I think I'm giving up and going with the wipe down while still on the knob is still on the unit. I have the aluminum rings, so I just need to clean off the face really.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cleaned off my CCM knobs and they are smooth just like the radio knobs. Thanks for the helps guys. Makes a huge difference in the interior.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts