SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
So I purchased a new valentine one the other day, installed it, powered it up, and it started going off constantly with all the lights lit up.. Took me a while to figure out it was connected with something inside the car. The false alert goes away as soon as I retract the display and back when its up. I can deal with it down but I would like it to stay up because I have a backup camera. Any possible fixes to this problem?

Video:

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I have a V1 in my R with RTI and have no issue. Granted it's a 10 year old V1 but never an issue.

How are you powering it?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the ugly cord hanging down at the moment, I have it mounted with a mirror clamp though so no suction cups. haven't had a chance to hard wire it yet. I am going to try and go to the sunroof switch or miror power though I think.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Before you do that, isolate the power source completely (like use a portable battery to power the V1) to make sure it's not some strange EMI field that screen is producing. Could be the V1 is malfunctioning independently too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I will try and power it off a portable battery bank later today. Another thing is when the RTI screen is up, and if I cover the what I think is the remote sensor on the top middle of the screen with my hand it stops alerting. I tried to cover it with electrical tape but it must not be thick enough. As long as I have the system shut down and in the dash the V1 works normally.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
In that case I'd skip the assumption that power is related and say that it's obviously a leaky sensor. Do you use the remote? If not, you could probably fashion a shield or cover that would block the V1 from seeing it. Or, put a blocking shield on the V1 instead.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I don't have the remote so I cant use it. I will see about just putting a few layers of electrical tape over it and see if that works. That's odd that no one else has had this problem though?

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
I had assumed that its only an IR sensor on the top of the nag and not an emitter. I'd more suspect the screen itself is what is emitting light in the band that the valentine's laser detector might be picking up.

Does your rear view camera add on also have a proximity sensor?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had assumed that its only an IR sensor on the top of the nag and not an emitter. I'd more suspect the screen itself is what is emitting light in the band that the valentine's laser detector might be picking up.

Does your rear view camera add on also have a proximity sensor?
That's also a possibility that it is the screen. I will try some things on my lunch break and see if I can figure out exactly what it is.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Out curiosity I googled it, and it appears to be the LCD screen causing issues, which it seems many tesla drivers have discovered due to the large screen in them.

https://my.teslamotors.com/en_GB/forum/forums/no-good-radar-detection-solution-s
Well dang that blows.. looks like either I am going to have to keep it down all the time or swap out screens for something else then.. and turn off the v1 every time the screen pops up when I go into reverse, joy. Thanks for the information though, very helpful!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
If the V1 is still under warranty, I'd check with their tech support dept and see if there is something they can do.
Like I said, mine has no issue but it's running older software.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Out on my lunch I fired everything up and no false alert... the screen started out darker than normal because 14 degrees here. But even after it warmed up still no alert. Nothing else has been installed or changed since it happened last. and i'm running 3.894 which is newer I think.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
I assume the laser sensor is only sensitive to a few different wavelengths of light, so what is displayed in your rear view camera may strongly effect how much it gives off a false signal that can be picked up by the detector assuming that is the cause.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when it was false alerting though it was constantly going off anytime the screen was up. whether it was the gps, the rearview camera, dark or bright back, moving or not, it always went off. even this morning when I first started the car, its been 2 days since i installed it. now on my lunch break it was ok the entire time with the screen up and in reverse.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Welcome to the strange world of the R.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update:

It is more of a hit and miss situation now that its been a few days. Some drives it will go the entire trip without falsing, other times it goes off the entire time, and sometimes it will flash for a second and turn off.. But either way as long as the screen is down all is good. Who knows whats going on with it.

Welcome to the strange world of the R.
I'm going with this...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.