SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Any one seen an RS500 oil cooler installed on out engine?
I'm looking for souch an upgrade but I'd Like to be 100% shure before paying $300US for one.

As from what I've found online, the oil cooler would decrease the overall temperature and save the block from the hotspots which eventually cause it to crack....
Regardless for that theory, I would still want one.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Do you mean to replace the stock oil cooler or add to it?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace.
The one we have is smal with plastic around it. The RS500 one is double size and full metal.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just by going off of the photos, it looks like it's a Behr W0133-1823637. If that's the case, they look to have been in production for the last 17 years so you could probably find one at a junkyard for a lot less than 300!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm not convinced the taller narrower unit has more cooling surface area than the stock one. It comes down to the rate of heat transfer afforded.

·
Registered
753 Posts
You can just add a B&M oil cooler.
Track proven performance and cost less.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not convinced the taller narrower unit has more cooling surface area than the stock one. It comes down to the rate of heat transfer afforded.
RS has same surface & more plates = more heat exchange.

J-velocity, any links at hand?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just by going off of the photos, it looks like it's a Behr W0133-1823637. If that's the case, they look to have been in production for the last 17 years so you could probably find one at a junkyard for a lot less than 300!
Thank you for that info!

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
OK I have a very specific question about this. The Ford Focus RS MKII B5254T3 Oil cooler is therefore exactly the same mounting dimensions as the B5254T4 one?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would not be surprised. Ford borrowed a lot of technology - including 'our' engines - from Volvo when they owned them.

·
Registered
543 Posts
hmm... yes... quite right... touché...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Volvo Made the engines for the Focus ST Focus RS and Mondeo 2.5T they're all almost identical to the T5 including intake, except the RS thats a bit weirder with some strange mounting bolts and also produces 440NM of torque. Ford literally bought them in (even though it was charging itself essentially).

Ford did more than take technology they kept the Volvo Test Track in the USA (which is supposed to be really good) for themselves....

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is what I'm trying to figure out.
If I would get the RS500 cooler for reasonable price, I would be happy to try it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
On the back side of the engine, passenger side.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ah yes i know now! Found picture, here on a Focus RS. It´s not just the RS500 that have this. It´s the same on the RS..

·
Registered
773 Posts
I measured the stock cooler, and it is 2 inches high, 3.5 inches high if you include the water tube coming out. The previously mentioned Behr W0133-1823637 can be found here:

http://www.autopartsway.com/PartDetails.cfm?W0133-1823637/BEH

cheaper one here:
http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/shop/-brand_Behr-sku_W0133-ds-1823637.html
but it doesn't list the dimensions.

Note that the first site says cooler is 5.5 inches high, meaning that it is 2 inches thicker. Every site I looked at says this is a stock replacement cooler, but it is definitely thicker than the S60 one.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts