SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to the topic of my C70 07 D5.
In this topic i will post everything related to my car, everything mechanical and not, might post some pictures of it during the time aswell.
Since im doing all of the work on my car myself, from now on i will try to take more pictures of the process im doing.

So, lets start from the very beggining.
In 2019 april bought my C70 with I would say very good complectation. To be honest, no idea why did i even buy it. I guess i just wanted to feel what its like to own a cabrio.

Over the time understood that the car feels kinda boring i would say. So had to spice some things up. Found in almost great condition Ocean by Cruise R19 9j rims for a very good price.

Then realised that it doesnt look as good as i thinked it would. So next step was to get the c70 closer to the ground. Had a hard fight with myself, coilovers or lowering springs. In the end decided to go with new Sachs struts and Vogtland (-35mm) lowering springs. To be honest, the ride isnt as bad as i thought it would. To compare, bmw 3-series e9x with m suspension feels almost the same.

Next thing was the spacers. In the front 20mm and in rear 15mm (god bless the rear arches). Oh, and im running 225/35 R19 tires. Front clears with no problems, no rubbing or anything. Rear is a different story, will have to figure something during the winter.
That would be everything related to the visual “upgrades”.

Now onto the technical things.
I bought the car with a strong vibration. During these two years while i own the car, i have changed a lot of things, but nothing has really helped to elinate the vibration during acceleration.
Anyways, here is a list of things i have changed:
All 4 struts, front bearings, strut mount bearings, lower control arms with bushings and ball joints, both cv axles, engine and transmission mounts, front sway bar links. Probably forgot something, anyways i got an excel file on my second pc of all the work done to c70.
As some of you all know, none of these parts have helped to eliminate the vibration. So my guess was that its the gearbox that makes this vibration. This week went to transmission repair shop and guess what, they told that transmission is healthy and with no signs of problems. Altough it needs an oil change. So my next thing in “to do list” is to remove all 5 injectors and to test them.

Right now c70 is sitting in garage and the next drive it will see only in the spring. For now my plans are to find the source of vibration, fix that, change all 4 rotors with ceramic pads, paint calipers (not sure about the color yet), change rear sway bar bushings and end links (maybe order elevate sway bar but not sure of thats necessary), find front headlights in good condition with no cracks for a reasonable price. Probably something more, will add to the list later.

And here are the pictures of the car right now, shot during this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i / 2007 C70 T5
1,791 Posts
I really like how the C70 looks in black. Even though black isn’t my favorite color.

What’s the issue with the rear wheel spacers?

If they rub, remember that on C70’s behind the wheel hubs there’s a 5mm spacer on each side. You can remove those to have the wheels with 10mm total offset. Remember getting regular P1 (C30, S40 & V50) caliper bracket and wheel hub bolts (can’t remember if there are other bolts besides those)

Also, if you are planning to replace brake rotors, that’s the perfect time to upgrade the rear brakes to 302mm, you’ll need Focus RS rotors and Mazda 5 caliper brackets. This pairs nicely with front 320mm brakes.

As for the caliper color, in my opinion, since your C70 is all black, if you go with a silver or cast aluminum color that will contrast really good with rest of the car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really like how the C70 looks in black. Even though black isn’t my favorite color.

What’s the issue with the rear wheel spacers?

If they rub, remember that on C70’s behind the wheel hubs there’s a 5mm spacer on each side. You can remove those to have the wheels with 10mm total offset. Remember getting regular P1 (C30, S40 & V50) caliper bracket and wheel hub bolts (can’t remember if there are other bolts besides those)

Also, if you are planning to replace brake rotors, that’s the perfect time to upgrade the rear brakes to 302mm, you’ll need Focus RS rotors and Mazda 5 caliper brackets. This pairs nicely with front 320mm brakes.

As for the caliper color, in my opinion, since your C70 is all black, if you go with a silver or cast aluminum color that will contrast really good with rest of the car.

I know about those 5mm spacers behing the wheel hubs, but if i would remove those, rear wheels wouldnt look good. Even now i would want the rear wheels to be pushed a bit more to the outside, so might have to roll rear arches to be able to put a bigger spacer. Will post a pic later of the fitment atm.

Well, i really want to do the 302mm upgrade, but i already bought all the rotors and pads in the beggining of this summer, thats before someone posted here about this upgrade.

I have been thinking about silver, but imho its too mainstream. Also i dont want anything flashy like red or yellow. So i guess not a lot of options that would look good

Reactions: Facusan

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Yep, looks like you’ll have to roll those fenders

Or...... if you want to go crazy, make a widebody conversion like this render:

About the calipers, if you don’t want a flashy color, what about a dark grey?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, looks like you’ll have to roll those fenders

Or...... if you want to go crazy, make a widebody conversion like this render:

About the calipers, if you don’t want a flashy color, what about a dark grey?

Dang. I love how the render looks, but that wont be cheap.

Dark grey also would be ok. Since the wheels are in graphite they would nicely match

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You forgot to mention your wind deflector! Lol

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RR04 and Facusan

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You forgot to mention your wind deflector! Lol

True, my bad. During winter probably will ask you to ship me those brackets for frankenbrakes

Reactions: V50toS40

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
True, my bad. During winter probably will ask you to ship me those brackets for frankenbrakes

Sounds good. I may be able to source you some headlights for a decent price too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds good. I may be able to source you some headlights for a decent price too.

That would be great. Nothing for a reasonable price here in EU

·
Registered
359 Posts
I chased a bad engine vibration that seemed to happen right after I changed the plugs. I switch brands of plugs, replaced the coils, and still no luck. Then by just dumb luck I realized my Focus transmission stabilizer link had come loose and I lost one of the bolts. I was able to find a metric bolt at the hardware store and installed it with a dab of loctite this time. Vibration was cured. Think the mount came loose (or I might have loosened it myself) when I did the motor mounts prior to the spark plug service.

Just a thought. Please poste what seems to cure your vibration. Cheers!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you said your vibration happens during acceleration only?/if thats the case then is one of your axles..
Correct, during acceleration. But both cv axles have been replaced
Im saving up some money now to take the injectors to a test.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ordered Fyralip Y15 trunk lip. Should arrive until february. Had a long discusion with myself either to go with the regular Y22 or the bigger one Y15. Will see how it looks. Will post pics when it arrives

Also bought all the parts for brakes, next week will start to change all rotors, pads, caliper pistons etc

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Caliper pistons?? Let me guess: Your parking brake goes out of adjustment after a few weeks??

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Caliper pistons?? Let me guess: Your parking brake goes out of adjustment after a few weeks??
Not really. I dont use parking brake.
Main reason why im chaging them is my brakes were overheating because of stuck pistons.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on the vibration under acceleration.
Took the injectors to a test and all injectors are fine. Now i got no clue where to look for the cause of the vibration. Im still leaning towards the gearbox, but that also would be weird since the gearbox repair shop said that the gearbox is healthy, it just needs an oil change.
Anyone has any clues what could be the cause?
Just a reminder, its a D5 engine. Cv axles have been changed, engine and gearbox mounts, shocks, all bushings in the front aswell.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
That’s weird…….. but on the bright side now you know you have a healthy engine.

How often you’ve done transmission oil changes? And what’s the car total kms?

What oil are you using for the transmission?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That’s weird…….. but on the bright side now you know you have a healthy engine.

How often you’ve done transmission oil changes? And what’s the car total kms?

What oil are you using for the transmission?

Yep. Also probably im saving some bucks by not buying new injectors.

Never. I was planning to change the oil in february. It has almost 300k km which is something around 190k miles.
When i took my c70 to the gearbox shop, they told that the oil doesnt look too bad, a flush and new oil would be recommended, but not in a hurry.
During this week ill try to finish doing the brakes and after new year will call some more gearbox related shops and persons to hear their opinions.
Also im still keeping the idea of swapping the gearbox with a fresher Aisin 6 speed one. Just need to figure out if its possible to program so the car recognizes it and doesnt throw errors

1 - 20 of 152 Posts