SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my rebuilt Bosch 35 amp alternator may be on the way out. Yesterday while doing some engine tuning on my Megasquirt, I started getting some howling noises from the front of the car. Not steady; but, definitely sounded like a bearing going bad. Does anybody have a suggestion for an easy drop in replacement if I need a fix? I don't need anything spectacular size wise. I have a dash voltmeter so I don't really need the charge indicator light. An internally regulated one wire alternator would be OK.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The later 70s internal regulator GM is a pretty common one to swap on to about anything. Put those on all kinds of things but still running the generator on my Volvo.
Forget now how to do the one wire install but Google would find it.

Although as cheap as those rebuilds are on that site Craig 300 posted that seems like the way to go.

With any altranator the quality of a parts store rebuilt is always in question.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't know about their alternators; but, one of those $2000 Braille Li ion batteries looks like a hot ticket!

The alternator that I have on the car is a rebuilt Bosch. Its about 5+ years old; but, has very little operating time on it. The fact that it seems to be making strange noises so quickly leaves me a little bit down on rebuilds. That is why I was thinking about options based upon new alternators.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The later 70s internal regulator GM is a pretty common one to swap on to about anything. Put those on all kinds of things but still running the generator on my Volvo.
Forget now how to do the one wire install but Google would find it.
The process of the one wire installation doesn't present any problems. My question was more one of fit. I would like to be able to retain the original mounting mechanism which means that the mounting ears on the alternator need to be in the same or close to the same location as on the Bosch. The offsets of the mounting and drive pulley are also potential issues.

The weather here has taken a quick turn to the cool side and I have an unheated garage. If I have to do some fabrication and test fitting for the alternator, I will probably wait until spring. If there was an easy drop in replacement, I might try that before I put the car away for the winter.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I would buy the Swedish embassy bracket and go with the GM one wire alternator. It's used on enough classic car applications that it'll never go obsolete. And it looks like a regular alternator, nobody would ever call you out on originality over it, except a very Volvo specific club show. Also your engine bay is pristine, there are chrome and powder coat options out the wazoo on that unit if you want it pretty.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My fuzzy recollection is that the Swedish Embassy kit is a bracket to retrofit the Delco 10si or 12si on to a B18 block which was originally set up with a dynamo. Will the bracket still fit on the B20 to retrofit the Delco alternator?

On the 120 forum, I think The Boy Called Crow did a fit of a 12si on his B20 block; but, it required grinding to get alignment of the pulley using the B20 alternator mounting point. I recall that somebody had done a fit of a compact Denso alternator on a B20; but, I have not been able to find that webpage or any reference to a suitable part number.

Edit:

I guess the bracket does fit:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?186869-Early-B18-B20-vs-late-B20-alternators

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turns out it was a non problem. The belt was loose and slipping. Strange problem since both the bottom mounting bolt and the adjusting bolt on the top were tight. Its almost like the belt stretched.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts