SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to flush my transmission this week and I'd like to know if anyone on here has there transmission running royal purple? Ive ran royal purple on all my volvos with 3,000 mile oil changes and I love it. So I'd like to see if it'll make a difference with my transmission. I currently have a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd gear (only when on an incline). And at some point I'll have my transmission valve body rebuilt however until that time I want to drive the crap out of it. Ever since buying my car I can tell I've been putting heavy stress on the trans and the trans doesn't like it. However at least my driveing habbits have helped me get better mpg! But if not royal purple, what other fluid would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
All approved fluids are basically identical. I'd just get the $70 case of Mobil 3309 that everyone gets from Amazon. Better off doing a few drain and fills over a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm planning on doing one flush and that's about 12 quarts worth. I'd like to only have to do it once and have it the best I can.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would strongly suggest you send some oil sample in at the end of the 3000 mile. You'll be surprised how much life is still left on that oil.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I run 7,500 miles interval and I use AMSOIL.
There certainly will still be life in the oil but I always like the change it sooner than later. Gives me the feeling of fresh fluid and confidence when redlineing my caR

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I'm just chiming in to say that if your having issues with your shifting and you flush or exchange the fluid your problem may get worse. That's just from working ad a mechanic.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll just have the valve body rebuilt if it messes it up. I really don't think it will tho. I've only got 115k and the fluid looks decent right Now.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'm assuming this fluid is Toyota rated...but i'm a fan of the Valvoline maxlife synthetic ATF. Cant beat it for the price.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
+1 for Mobil 3309

Stick with what has been proven to work.

The hard shift can be as simple as something as a dirty shift solenoid so the flush should help.

I always do 12qt at once, the ipd method.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If your having shifting problems there is really no fix other than replacing the synchro's. However some oils like Royal Purple Syncromax & Pennzoil Synchromesh do help. I have used both (on other non-volvo cars) and they definitely help a LITTLE. I would say the Pennzoil Synchromesh gave me the most noticeable results.

HOWEVER!

Both of these oils actually really suck when it comes to performance, especially the Royal Purple. If you plan to keep the car for a while I would definitely use RedLine or AMSOIL. I just changed my R over to RedLine MT-90 and its feels a little smoother and I know its good oil, how do I know this....

Follow this link for the engineering analysis, might help you find what you want to use.

http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gear-oil-comparison.pdf

·
Registered
182 Posts
If your having shifting problems there is really no fix other than replacing the synchro's. However some oils like Royal Purple Syncromax & Pennzoil Synchromesh do help. I have used both (on other non-volvo cars) and they definitely help a LITTLE. I would say the Pennzoil Synchromesh gave me the most noticeable results.
Cool. Thread is talking about autos though.

06 GT here. I flushed with 17 qts of mobil 3309 a couple weeks ago. It helped, but didn't get rid of the studdering 2-3 shift. I'm thinking only a valve body will take care of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts