SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do an oil change on my 06' V70R and use a Royal Purple oil filter, but on their website they don't list anything for 06' model year Volvo's, anybody here use them and if so, what's the part number?

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
^

Volvo or Mahle is the way to go. I bought a case of Mahle filters from FCP and a dozen aluminum crush washers for like $75 IIRC.

As for oil everyone has an opinion... Here's mine: Castrol Edge synthetic 10w30 $24 for 5qts at Wal-Mart. Buy 2 and keep the excess for the next oil change/topup...

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Why did you buy all those crush washers? My car still has its original at 160K miles, lol.
It's in the manual :rolleyes: It's cheap insurance. I also now have a crushing fear of messing up bolts after I broke an axle bolt.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I don't think Royal Purple makes a filter for our application, neither does AMSoil.

Out of all the one available, I have been using the top level Fram Ultra Synthetic filter for our cars. Fram? I know I used to hate Fram filters, but it actually seems well built (this is definitely not the cheap o crap basic Fram filter). Comes with a nice o ring that appears to be silicone as well. These are like $27.99 at Walmart, there is a rebate going right now for $2 back. You can also find them online for about $18. XG8712 is the part number.

Also Purolator makes a synthetic filter for our cars, but I have not been able to find anyone that carries it local to me so I can try it.

I have been using it with the 0W40 5 quart jugs of Castrol Synthetic at Walmart, they just rolled the price back to $22.xx with good results.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
$20 for an oil filter? That sounds like insanity. Why not go with OEM? A synthetic oil filter sounds like snake oil to me.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
It's in the manual :rolleyes: It's cheap insurance. I also now have a crushing fear of messing up bolts after I broke an axle bolt.
Just a FYI, despite what the manual might say, as long as its in good shape (no cracks or distortions) an oil plug's aluminum or brass crush washer can usually be reused for the lifetime of a vehicle.

Most shampoo bottles say apply, lather, rinse, repeat, though I'm usually able to skip the repeat part, lol. ;)

$20 for an oil filter? That sounds like insanity. Why not go with OEM? A synthetic oil filter sounds like snake oil to me.
Filter tech is filter tech, so I agree that these oil companies branding their own filters is mostly snake oil for those who worship their particular oil brands.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Just a FYI, despite what the manual might say, as long as its in good shape (no cracks or distortions) an oil plug's aluminum or brass crush washer can usually be reused for the lifetime of a vehicle.
Next thing you'll do is say not to change seals with TB service and then the awakening of the Dougy-Kraken will be complete.

But seriously, why not just change out washers? They cost nothing.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Next thing you'll do is say not to change seals with TB service and then the awakening of the Dougy-Kraken will be complete.

But seriously, why not just change out washers? They cost nothing.
.44 cents each if you buy them from IPD the most expensive vendor.

Say you change your oil 100 times over the course of owning your car, that's $44 saved... :p

Remind me never to buy a used Volvo from Stealthy.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Hell, I don't care if they cost a penny, at least some of us know what can be reused and what can't.

Perhaps when you finally need a valve job you can just spend a couple grand on a new head assembly from volvo, since that's how the manual will tell you that its done, lol. ;)

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Hell, I don't care if they cost a penny, at least some of us know what can be reused and what can't.

Perhaps when you finally need a valve job you can just spend a couple grand on a new head assembly from volvo, since that's how the manual will tell you that its done, lol. ;)
Haha (I'd buy a long block from Volvo just to say I have one :D ). What's funny is that my Dad who's an engineer also believes in reusing the crush washer. Maybe when I finish my engineering degree I'll have the same opinion.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
LOL, I loved UCB back in the day.

Crush washer tech is pretty simple, its basically a thick soft metal gasket clamped between to harder pieces of metal. Its in compression so its failure modes are pretty much nil if its not damaged. Like many other parts of your engine, its the kind of thing you could use for the lifetime of the vehicle, unless someone loses or damages it during one of your oil changes of course.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
And if you buy the 10 pack of mahle filters from IPD which come with crush washers, you actually only pay $0.04 per washer. I bought that pack and I sure don't mind spending $4.99 every 5k miles for filter and crush washer combo.

Jesus H Christ, I'm one of the cheapest SOBs on this entire forum and even I change the crush washer since it's easy and inexpensive.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Its a good thing they hand these things out like candy since most R owners appear to barely have the skills required to change their fluids, let alone inspect a crush washer to determine if its reusable.

I just got done putting my oil pan back together and the new magnetic plug didn't come with an new washer so once again my crush washer lives on to seal another day. I sure hope it doesn't explode or leak, lol. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts