SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 C70 - I went for my yearly maintenance (have 9500 miles) : had coupon for some Volvo summer special with oil (but they gave me synthetic as I requested), new filter, and whatever else, plus some software update that took forever, my car is incredibly different. I barely step on the gas now and this thing takes off! Was so sluggish before but I thought that that was just the way it was. My A/C fan seems to stay on high longer but the AC seems a bit colder. The fan used to kick down within minutes. Took a very long time to do so today. Don't know why. I had no AC problems before. I also see the time displayed next to the temperature on the dash. That's new. Only had temp before. I looked on my ticket to see if they mentioned the software code but it doesn't say anything. Overall, I'm definitely pleased with the service at Volvo of Edison.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Careful, brenda...you'll wear that thing out driving 2000 miles a year!!! Reminds me of a tennis client who bought a first edition Miata and 10 years later had about your same mileage!

I do hope 'they' took a look at your tires. Likely nothing wrong but I believe a soft compound performance tire degrades a bit faster than 'sturdier' tires. "Shouldn't" have any troubles after 4 years, but just something to keep an eye on.

Glad to hear it came back happy from the shop! I don't recall any software updates on our '08 that had 27K miles when we traded it last year.

You're keeping the a/c on 'Auto', I reckon; since the fan hits high initially and then settles down after a comfy temp is reached. I always adjusted ours manually to about 'half-fan' since it's a bit loud on 'max'. Just one of those things I didn't want to relinquish control over ;) .

Pretty amazing you're getting a clock reading after being asleep for four years, but you also have the time displayed on the radio, IIRC...does seem a little odd to have two readouts for the time.

Enjoy the ride!!! Our '11 C70 is in for a week's worth of body work after DW's little dust-up with a Subaru last week :( . Good news is it's going to be 100 degrees most of the next week(After 30 years on the tennis court, I DON'T have the top down during the day this time of the year!)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coachrick, Hahaha! Yes, to everything you mentioned! My tires were a big concern and I'm not even sure I'm keeping these Pirelli Rosso tires on much more after the summer ends. As much as I love the ride on them, they have gotten a bit too noisy and I had them check the wear. The rears are slightly more worn than the fronts, feathering a bit, cupping a bit. So, I asked them for a competitive price on Michelin A/S. Actually, they were very close to Tire Rack pricing, plus their labor for installation, balancing, and they gave me 2 yr road hazard. They also priced Hankooks and Bridgestone. I do like the low profile look of summer tires...but they are no longer practical for me. And I'm really limited with the 18" rims. I hate crappy tires...would get Pirelli's again but I really do plan to do more mileage and in colder weather.....MAYBE!

Yes, I know about the clock on the radio, but is this something new to be on the little panel too? Or did I miss something in a setting 4 years ago? Never touch anything.

The A/C is always on AUTO. Like I said, the fan seemed to run longer on high speed, not MAX though. MAX is deafening to me. Hated it in my Touareg too.

Hope your DW was ok! Car can always be fixed. However, I'm so neurotic with my cars that even I have a hard time believing my life is truly more important than a car! Just ask my DH or kids!

Love the really hot weather as it doesn't last long enough here. My top is down most of the time, and since I'm a runner for over 25 yrs, I love the heat! Odd...I should hate it. My husband rode with me two weeks ago, top down 103 degrees and did nothing but complain every minute. And at one point, about 10 miles from home, I pulled over and told him to GET OUT or stop complaining! So we compromised a bit...he made me ride with only his window up so he could feel the AC! What a wimp! Hence, the reason I'm always alone!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Brenda, suggest you get a 4-wheel alignment - feathering may be either because of "spirited" driving or alignment. Cupping is alignment. Cupping will never go away, even after an alignment (unless the tires are shaved - a whole other discussion) and will usually get worse as the tires accumulate miles.

DO NOT have your vehicle aligned at the dealer. Remember with your dealer alignment is a sideline not his main source of revenue. Instead go to a shop that ONLY does alignment. Depending upon where you live that may not be possible. If not, check with the local Porsche Club (the Porsche dealer will know how to contact them) and ask where they align their vehicles.

From the discussion on this forum about worn tires on new vehicles, when my '08 XC90 arrived it was immediately taken to an alignment shop. Was informed the front and rear need "tweaking." 52,000 miles later the tires are about due for replacement but have worn perfectly. A well spent $56.

Tires are just too expensive these days to let alignment slide when new tires are installed or at any time for that matter.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your advice. Seriously, I'm not keeping these tires on much longer and I do have a place here on Staten Island to have a proper alignment done. No spirited driving for me these days, not after the $1105 ticket!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Thank you for your advice. Seriously, I'm not keeping these tires on much longer and I do have a place here on Staten Island to have a proper alignment done. No spirited driving for me these days, not after the $1105 ticket!
Beg pardon? Do tell... :(

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beg pardon? Do tell... :(
MY First and hopefully last offense from June 2010:
Speeding at 64 mph in a 30 mph zone.....it was 6:30am, not a soul around, except the laser cop! Was a very short, dead quiet parkway that is nearly impossible to ever slow down to 30 mph from the allowed 50..most people cruise at 50-60 there. And to make matters worse, I had my radar detector on and totally ignored it! (I think it was too late anyways) That part of the ticket was $425.

Tack on NYS Driver Responsibility Assessment surcharge: $300

Hired my attorney friend who swore he could fight it: $345 (I'm a former Federal court reporter...should have known better to just pay the ticket. Fighting it here on Staten Island is almost a no-win situation.
Had to take the online Driver Education course: $35

Total: $1105.

PLUS 6 points on my license!

Would you do "spirited" driving anymore?? I don't do grandma driving either but I'm really careful towards the end of the month when the cops are ticket happy!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

MY First and hopefully last offense from June 2010:
Speeding at 64 mph in a 30 mph zone.....it was 6:30am, not a soul around, except the laser cop! Was a very short, dead quiet parkway that is nearly impossible to ever slow down to 30 mph from the allowed 50..most people cruise at 50-60 there. And to make matters worse, I had my radar detector on and totally ignored it! (I think it was too late anyways) That part of the ticket was $425.

Tack on NYS Driver Responsibility Assessment surcharge: $300

Hired my attorney friend who swore he could fight it: $345 (I'm a former Federal court reporter...should have known better to just pay the ticket. Fighting it here on Staten Island is almost a no-win situation.
Had to take the online Driver Education course: $35

Total: $1105.

PLUS 6 points on my license!

Would you do "spirited" driving anymore?? I don't do grandma driving either but I'm really careful towards the end of the month when the cops are ticket happy!

Dang! I was hoping to hear about doing a buck-thirty while trying to find the top speed of the C70 :) . My DW just got her second ticket since our move to Texas 4 years ago. I haven't had a ticket in 27 years(knock on wood), but I surely received more than my fair share in my 20s. I've been stopped twice here in central Texas...once for SEVEN mph over and once for FOUR mph over the questionable and since 'repealed' "night speed limit". Both highways were wide open, 70mph limits. That taught me a lesson. I get to use the 70-75-80 mph highways around Austin so much that I don't feel the need to 'hammer it' most times. Maybe I'm just gettin' old. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Dang! I was hoping to hear about doing a buck-thirty while trying to find the top speed of the C70 :) . My DW just got her second ticket since our move to Texas 4 years ago. I haven't had a ticket in 27 years(knock on wood), but I surely received more than my fair share in my 20s. I've been stopped twice here in central Texas...once for SEVEN mph over and once for FOUR mph over the questionable and since 'repealed' "night speed limit". Both highways were wide open, 70mph limits. That taught me a lesson. I get to use the 70-75-80 mph highways around Austin so much that I don't feel the need to 'hammer it' most times. Maybe I'm just gettin' old. :)
Speed limit here is 50....pretty sad. Over the bridge in NJ it's 65. It's been a long time since my 20's when I was a speed demon in my '71 'Vette and my '67 Olds 442! Now those were some wicked cars and I def. did speed, closer to 90-100 mph. Just got lucky. No tickets, no accidents! You should know I did not rack up much mileage in either vehicle, even back then.
Sold the Vette ....9000k miles in 4 years. The 442 had 8k miles in 4 yrs. Both cars showroom condition. That's just me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts