SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I lowered my V50 on Eibachs about 3 weeks ago and replaced the shocks/struts all the way around too (I put KYB's on. Have them on all my other cars and been very happy with them) but now the ride is pretty rough, mainly in the rear.

Been reading up on past threads and it seems that this it an issue with the S40/V50 cars in general.

Took the car to the in-law's house at the NJ Shore and it's mainly back roads. Not too bad. Couple of rough spots. Took it out to Lancaster County over the weekend and coming home on the PA Turnpike was pretty bad.

My Alero also has KYB's and Eibachs. Doesn't ride this bad. Alero's been set up like that for 13 years now.

Any thoughts? I know a lowered car rides a bit rougher and or stiffer than OE, but, WOW :eek:

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and struts run a little higher on the gas pressure which will make the car ride a little rougher. They used to say it was to compensate for worn suspension components. Now they say it is for increased performance.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
KYBs simply aren't a good match for the Eibachs. I'd go with Koni or Bilstein.

You don't mention if you are AWD. This will really be a problem if you are...
I see your pic/icon is AWD. KYBs (or anything other than factory) don't fit the rear properly.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^ yeah, could be the wrong rear shocks.
The ride is rough for sure after an inch or so lowered. Lets be honest though, the ride quality was Scheiße from the factory.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good read on that thread

Call me cheap, but I'm not spending $600 for 2 rear shocks.

I have KYB part number 343419 on the rear now. It was listed as fitting the rear of an AWD V50, then on other sites, it's listed as fitting both. Of course I didn't cross reference that with info from here before I bought them. It does make sense what's happening to my car. That's exactly what it feels like, I'm hitting a bump stop.

·
Registered
513 Posts
$600 is getting close to coilover territory. No issues with BC BRs on my AWD.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
even with my really old stock shocks w/ lowering springs the car doesnt feel like its hitting the bump stops. There must be something else going on-- like FWD rear shocks on your AWD or something.
BUt like Drjonez said, i think he/she has coilovers made for FWD on his/her AWD and it isnt bad.

·
Registered
513 Posts
...BUt like Drjonez said, i think he/she has coilovers made for FWD on his/her AWD and it isnt bad.
he/she? Please, my PGP is THEMAN. ;)

I'm kidding....though that did make me chuckle and shake my head at the state of society.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Good read on that thread

Call me cheap, but I'm not spending $600 for 2 rear shocks.

I have KYB part number 343419 on the rear now. It was listed as fitting the rear of an AWD V50, then on other sites, it's listed as fitting both. Of course I didn't cross reference that with info from here before I bought them. It does make sense what's happening to my car. That's exactly what it feels like, I'm hitting a bump stop.
if you kept your OEM shocks swap the rears back in. you will be much happier. i went 200,000 on my original rear shocks. the last 100k were with Eibachs.....

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
how much of a drop do we see? Can someone post pictures, i was debating on going the same route.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
he/she? Please, my PGP is THEMAN. ;)

I'm kidding....though that did make me chuckle and shake my head at the state of society.
theres a few ladies on here.. I figured its a long shot that you were, but its okay. come on, what did you expect on a volvo-forum? this may just be the most tolerant and friendly spot on the whole internet right here lol.

anyway, Yeah throw those stock rear shocks back on. lowered on those isnt really soo bad... mine are old and the ride is decent.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yep, I just got those (custom koni's) installed yesterday. Definitely an improvement. Car feels much less bouncy and better dampened. Still rides a little stiff, because that's the sacrifice we make with lowering springs. I haven't driven a P1 with coilovers, but from what I'm hearing it's nothing to write home about. So I'm quite happy with my custom Koni's.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I had lowered AWD V50...it's going to suck.

Ride quality will suck especially in the rear. Nothing you can do about it. Really nothing. I sold my stuff and went back to OEM, partly because I had a baby and my wife was going to be driving the car, and OEM is the most comfortable suspension.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Honestly it did suck, a lot. However it sucks significantly less with these Koni's. I also plan to get a slightly taller sidewall tire next time and that will likely be a fairly comfortable ride, for what was even at stock levels, a less than great suspension setup.

Last night had my dad and sister in the back of the V50 to and from seeing the Nutcracker, and there was a very noticeable difference. Much less bouncing and crashing over bumps, dips, and manhole covers. If interested call Bill at Koni Racing. 888-566-4722. Give him my name, Ryan Murray, and he can build the same rear shocks for anyone here. I also got the Koni struts listed for the FWD V50.

Thanks very much to pczeilon, for literally guiding me through every possible variable and pointing me in the right direction each time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the Elevate springs with koni's str.t on the front but the ride is ruined... I'm getting so tired that i have to brake for each little bump especially in the rear it's terrible. The Koni factory is like 1mile from my house and by the story of Murr i have to try to contact somebody over there....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My rear shocks are long gone and they were blown out anyway.

I'm going to order OE rear shocks from Tasca, probably today. Just picked up a set of offset wrenches so swapping out the shocks should be easier this time.

Maybe my neighbor with the 09 C30 will buy the KYB rears off me. :cool:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
My rear shocks are long gone and they were blown out anyway.

I'm going to order OE rear shocks from Tasca, probably today. Just picked up a set of offset wrenches so swapping out the shocks should be easier this time.

Maybe my neighbor with the 09 C30 will buy the KYB rears off me. :cool:
No no no no, OEM struts suck even if new.

Murrr above you proposed a solution. Get custom rears from Koni if possible.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts