SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: V50 T5 M66 AWD, 335K km

Context: Was driving and felt a loss of power and some rough noises even at idle. Pulled over and turned off the car to check under the hood to see if a vacuum line disconnected but noticed nothing.
Started the car back up and got a check engine light. Was able to nurse it home but was very low on power to the point of having to go up a hill with wide open throttle in 1st and was only able to maintain 20km/h.

Checked the codes and it was P0016 and P0017. Rough idle persisted the next day. Checked the timing belt and it seemed loose enough to have slipped but it was also at sub 0*c and had been sitting for more than 24 hours. When it was back up to temperature, the belt tension seemed appropriate. Was able to get a VIDA and confirmed with codes ECM-673C and ECM 674C (Camshaft position high, exhaust and inlet). Proceeded with the testing procedure and attached the picture below.

I pulled the VVT solenoids and blew them out with air and cleaned them out. Was able to bench test them with a power supply and after cleaning, they actuated as power was applied without any issues. The original lower seals had a build up of a hard black plastic like substance. Replaced them with new seals before reinstall. Small to no improvement.

Compression test yielded pressures between 170 and 178 psi.

Current symptoms continue to be rough idle with little power. Coming off throttle, a metallic sound exists - assumed this was bent valves but doesn't correspond with the compression numbers?

Unsure how I should proceed given these symptoms. My current idea is to move the belt relative to the crank one tooth at a time and see if symptoms and values improve but would like to have an educated guess as to what direction that is. Thinking fewer belt teeth between the intake and crank - no changes between the two cam positions. If anyone has other ideas I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
It's obvious your belt skipped more than one tooth, the intake cam is 44 degrees off. I would strongly suggest you do not attempt to eyeball it back into alignment. The exhaust cam is undoubtedly off as well.

At a minimum I would replace the timing belt and especially the tensioner, and to do the job the right way by removing the rear plugs and locking the cams.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts