SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 S60r with Stage 2 IPD. HD TCV, Factory lines. Lucky and one of our local Volvo Mechanic/Guru's have already voiced opinion, just seeing if any other ideas were out there before I start taking most of this stuff apart.

The idle is a bit rough.

The car does use a bit of oil, and a tiny bit of coolant. 60k miles and using Amsoil 5-30 or 10-30

Pulled a code with the Softloader of ECM-262A.

I have used a K&N Filter before, and now using the Evolve AMS with the big red filter.

There is no coolant in the oil. There is no oil in my coolant.

The crankcase does show vaccum at idle (rubber glove over oil fill hole, and the glove was getting sucked in).

The one odd thing, my Blitz boost gauge now shows less negative vaccum at idle. It used to read -.07 and below since its as low as the gauge will go.

Now it reads about -.03 at idle.

Plugs have been replaced within 10k miles.

The low oil message has come on once already, and had to add about a 1/2 quart.

I do have an exhaust leak but, I don't think its relevant. The car does not have a Catylic converter, so its a bit hard to tell if the exhaust smells weirder/toxic than normal. (The car hasn't had a cat in over a year, and the rear o2 code for me is normal)

I *MAY* have a vaccum leak at the TCV, I didn't use any of the clamps when I installed the IPD TCV and as far as I recall some of the hoses were a bit hardened. That could be it. I'll replace them with silicone ones anyway.

I was thinking it could be the MAF sensor, or the PCV system? White smoke/leaking turbo?

My plan of attack as I have the AKA Rally comming up in August which is just about 3000 miles form Savannah Georgia, to Monterey Bay California.

At this rate, at 60k miles I'm planning to do some engine maintenance.
-Replace all PCV related components/hoses along with the black box under the intake manifold.
-Remove and clean the Throttle body & Intake manifold, replace gaskets too.
-Clean, then Replace MAF if necessary (otherwise bring it extra)
-Replace and gap plugs a bit smaller.
-Replace exhaust gaskets with graphite ones which form a bit better to uneven surfaces
-Drain, and clean out intercooler of any oil.
-Replace TCV lines with Silicone lines.

Modified by chinaonnitrous1 at 11:35 AM 5-6-2009

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Re: Rough idle, ECM-262A, whiteish smoke (chinaonnitrous1)

I'm with the above post, do a compression check. White smoke to me is coolant, and first guess is head gasket. Does the exhaust have a sweet yet acrid smell? Hopefully this is not a cracked head, coolant gets into the combution chamber, but not in oil passage.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Rough idle, ECM-262A, whiteish smoke (rogersampson)

Quote, originally posted by rogersampson »
I'm with the above post, do a compression check. White smoke to me is coolant, and first guess is head gasket. Does the exhaust have a sweet yet acrid smell? Hopefully this is not a cracked head, coolant gets into the combution chamber, but not in oil passage.

Without the Cat, its really hard to differentiate smells.

It smells bad already, can't really tell if it smells worse.

But im cleaning out the garage, to pull it in for compression test.

Which would be:

Pull all plugs.
Thread in compreession tester
Take reading on 2nd puff.

·
Registered
194 Posts

Quote, originally posted by chinaonnitrous1 »

Pull all plugs.
Thread in compreession tester
Take reading on 2nd puff.

Make sure the fuel pump is disabled. Pull the relay. You don't want to be injecting fuel into the cylinders while you're doing the compression test.

Also make sure the throttle is wide open while you're cranking the engine. A partially open throttle will give you an erroneous reading.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts

Sounds like a plan. I would do this on a warm engine. If you do get a low reading on one cylinder, you might try squirting some oil in the spark plug hole. This will temporarily seal any worn/broken rings. I doubt that is the case since you would be seeing blue smoke. Also you can test your coolant for combustion products, by drawing sample vapors from the radiator, and using a leak detect chemical, which will change colors if hydrocarbons are detected. Major auto parts stores will have it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Re: Rough idle, ECM-262A, whiteish smoke (rogersampson)

Where you doing anything when this 1st happened? As in WOT to or past redline, etc.?

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Rough idle, ECM-262A, whiteish smoke (S60R1)

Nope, the idle just happend one day... Had a WOT experience that day, but nothing out of the ordinary.

The idle felt weird, and I pulled the codes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do a "Cylinder leak down test". It will tell you a lot more than a comp. test. It will tell you if you have a problem with your head gasket or rings or valves. much easier to pin point that type problem. Auto zone might rent them.

·
Registered
621 Posts

maybe turbo went bad and is leaking passed the seal. I've heard of this happening in a severe case and was just clouds of white smoke. check your IC piping for oil.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Rough idle, ECM-262A, whiteish smoke (PMPN8EZ)

Quote, originally posted by PMPN8EZ »
maybe turbo went bad and is leaking passed the seal. I've heard of this happening in a severe case and was just clouds of white smoke. check your IC piping for oil.

My volvo store across the street said the same thing.

Theyd have XC90's with the T5 and T6 engines come in after some serious towing and have tons of white smoke due to the failed turbo.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Foreveradvanced)

Quote, originally posted by Foreveradvanced »
Could just bring it down to the shop

Funeral Meet for China's S60r.

Hahahaha. I've got some of the car apart in the garage. All the maintenance is due anyway, especially if its not serious the AKA Rally is about 3k miles.

Thank goodness for a bulletproof 288k mile Mr2 Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts
Re: Rough idle, ECM-262A, whiteish smoke (PMPN8EZ)

Quote, originally posted by PMPN8EZ »

lol, yes this is actually pretty cool. I had a turbo fail in the past and it was initial white puffs of smoke with a very distinct smell. When it finally failed, it was "ROFL" material. The largest cloud of white smoke that probably looked like an explosion...and it happened as I was driving through a development-wide yard sale.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Rough idle, ECM-262A, whiteish smoke (phuz)

Quote, originally posted by phuz »
The largest cloud of white smoke that probably looked like an explosion...and it happened as I was driving through a development-wide yard sale.

You did it on purpose.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Problem 1.

1 bolt and loose nut on downpipe to turbo connection.

I'm guessing that would majorly affect the first o2 sensor.

What would the outcome be due to this issue?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

Quote, originally posted by chinaonnitrous1 »
Problem 1.

1 bolt and loose nut on downpipe to turbo connection.

I'm guessing that would majorly affect the first o2 sensor.

What would the outcome be due to this issue?

Your A/F might be a bit off but nothing major otherwise you'd hear the leak so it was probably still a tight seal. I see you track your car and above stock boost levels, turbo at that rate won't last too long.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (xman03)

Quote, originally posted by xman03 »

Your A/F might be a bit off but nothing major otherwise you'd hear the leak so it was probably still a tight seal. I see you track your car and above stock boost levels, turbo at that rate won't last too long.

I'm ordering a few new gaskets, and I could hear it, BIG Time. I didn't realize it was the DP connection.

I really thought the leak was after the downpipe where it meets the exhaust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.