SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't find a lot of information through search about rotors for 300mm brake setup on SS.

Kova pointed out to me some ATE PremiumOne. They look great but I can't find part numbers for 300mm front rotors or if they are available at all...

Some others mentioned EBC, stoptech, etc...

I don't know much a bout rotor quality so I can't tell what's better or worse... only that I'm kind of set on getting some good performance slotted rotors (not drilled), vented in the front, and that would not rust like crazy (coated, painted)

I don't know about options available in 300mm rotors... (I thought for a split second to upgrade to 320 but I can't justify the cost for the time being, changing the rotors is still much less expensive)

Thanks for anyone with more info on rotors, what's good, what's to avoid, what's too expensive for what you get, general knowledge, etc...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Ate PremiumOne's are great but they don't make 300mm only 320mm and rears. I just ordered EBC's for my wifes car that are zinc plated to resist corrosion they are called EBC sport rotors but they are -300 bucks just for the front rotors. We'll see how they compare to the Ate's on my car. Those are the only brands I have experience with. Stay away from the Ebay brands!! the EBC's i ordered are replacing a set of slotted ebay garbage that are rusting in all the slots and causing a terrible vibration and noise...they will now be used for self defense frisbee's!! BTW, the ATE's on the rear of my wifes car are 3 yrs old and still look great. I matched those up with Akebono ceramic pads at the same time and there is a LOT of life left in them!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When I replaced my brakes I only did the front but the rear needs to be replaced. Do I have to use the same pads as the front? I don't like the OEM pads that much, the dust makes my wheels look black. Also when replacing the rears do I have to do the bedding procedure like with the fronts?

Sorry a bit off topic

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@ nkreig - Thanks this is useful information. I have the Akebono pads and Hawks HPS on order coming in a week or so...
Yeas it's too bad the Ate aren't available in 300mm I would have went for those I think... I just have to find something else.

I just looked at the EBC a little earlier but I'm not too crazy of the zinc coating. I know they might perform well but I can't imagine those on my black car. I know it's kind of silly... Cost isn't as much an issue as long as I get quality and performance. Otherwise I'd rather go a cheaper route.

I wonder if these are any good: http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive...rs/ultimax_blackdash_usr_slotted_rotors.shtml

the EBC's i ordered are replacing a set of slotted ebay garbage that are rusting in all the slots and causing a terrible vibration and noise...they will now be used for self defense frisbee's!!
Ouch that's got to hurt!

Do slot typically rust a lot regardless of the brand? I wonder how bad a thing that is? or I wonder if some rotors have sufficient coating in the slots... perhaps that's a criteria for selection...

@ d3box1 - not really off topics. I was hoping this thread could help me learn more about rotors!
I still need to answer my initial question though :D

edit:
now here is off topic :D
keep watching beyond the 30 seconds
[video=youtube;y2Q4OpGCfME&feature=fvwrel]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Q4OpGCfME&feature=fvwrel[/video]

and look at the end of this one
[video=youtube;VoPBSQFWXHU&feature=fvwrel]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoPBSQFWXHU&feature=fvwrel[/video]

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
R1 concepts
they are running a 15% off sale right now + free shipping.
promo code: fireworks15
get the "premium" rotors. more expensive than their "e-line" series but the elines have been known to warp.
i just saved $35 ordering fronts for mine with the code.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
R1 concepts
they are running a 15% off sale right now + free shipping.
promo code: fireworks15
get the "premium" rotors. more expensive than their "e-line" series but the elines have been known to warp.
i just saved $35 ordering fronts for mine with the code.
I'm going to check those out.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Unless you're gonna burn up your rotors on a track, I just don't see any benefit of slotted and drilled rotors. Slotted rotors look different and sporty, but the fact is, you want a solid smooth surface on your rotor to prevent rust from accumulating. No matter what the coating, rust will develop, because the slots are shaving any amount of coating off the surface, leaving the edges of the slots open for rust--the grooves of the slot might be resistant to rust, but the point where the pads scrape the surface and the edge of the groove, is where the rust will begin to set in.

I suppose if rotors were made of some hybrid material that wasn't metal, then sure, slotted wouldn't be a problem. But until there's a totally different non-rusting material made, rotors will rust quicker if there is ANY non-smooth surface, and there are grooves and edges, which rust absolutely loves and needs.

You can always paint the calipers to look sporty. :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have found that Brakeperformance.com, rotors are nice, seem to work well. I have the dimpled/slotted on the rear of my S80, with Akebono pads EUR1307. Just ordered the front set (300mm), and ordered power stop ceramics as Akebono EUR1306 for the fronts are not available yet. The rotors have been on for 4 mos or so and no rust. I will be placing these on my truck (warps rotors almost immediately) as well as the VW (known undersized brakes issue).

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
After buying EBC Turbo Groove and EBC Greenstuff, I'm not changing from EBC anymore! They cost more, but they produce a better result! I paid I think €30 more for 4 discs and 16 pads than I would have for original Volvo parts. I get a better performance, the brakes are grippier and just "looking" at the brake pedal will basically stop the car instantly... Oh, and my brakes are smaller being only 278 mm at the front and 280 mm at the rear (yes, the rear brakes are larger than the fronts!).

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Ate PremiumOne's are great but they don't make 300mm only 320mm and rears.
Actually ATE makes 300 mm front PremiumOne rotors but they are available only in Europe.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for the R1 Concepts link. I'll be bookmarking it for other accessories. Wouldn't mind doing a larger rotor upgrade in the future.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Unless you're gonna burn up your rotors on a track, I just don't see any benefit of slotted and drilled rotors. Slotted rotors look different and sporty, but the fact is, you want a solid smooth surface on your rotor to prevent rust from accumulating. No matter what the coating, rust will develop, because the slots are shaving any amount of coating off the surface, leaving the edges of the slots open for rust--the grooves of the slot might be resistant to rust, but the point where the pads scrape the surface and the edge of the groove, is where the rust will begin to set in.

I suppose if rotors were made of some hybrid material that wasn't metal, then sure, slotted wouldn't be a problem. But until there's a totally different non-rusting material made, rotors will rust quicker if there is ANY non-smooth surface, and there are grooves and edges, which rust absolutely loves and needs.

Not exactly true, the Ebay rotors on the front of the v50 went on the car the same time as the ate rears. The Ebay rotors had no coating in the slot, ate's did...three years later fronts are rusting from the slots and the ate's are fine.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,372 Posts

I've got to agree with Red Zone here. If you're not tracking it's a total waste.
What everyone really wants is a rotor that wears well, doesn't warp & stays "pretty". I can vouch for the ATEs. They've been on my A4 for over two years in the rust belt & still look pretty good. The best value in my opinion is still the Centric "high carbon" rotors. They have a rust prevention coating as well, black instead of the ATE silver.
Rust is not really in issue in the slots of slotted rotors, coated or not. It's the hat, outer edge & vented area.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Keep the discussion going. This is quite interesting...

Super dumb questions (I feel stupid asking )
I ordered these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MJSJ16/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
and these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E24M46/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

And it suddenly dawned on me that a set doesn't necessarily mean right car side with left as there are two pads per sides :p I know it's sounds so obvious...
Are these typically sold independently or per axle? Should I wait and see what comes in the mail or can someone tells me if these ones above are per axle and I need to make a second order?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Keep the discussion going. This is quite interesting...

Super dumb questions (I feel stupid asking )
I ordered these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MJSJ16/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
and these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E24M46/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

And it suddenly dawned on me that a set doesn't necessarily mean right car side with left as there are two pads per sides :p I know it's sounds so obvious...
Are these typically sold independently or per axle? Should I wait and see what comes in the mail or can some tells me these once above are per axle and I need to make a second order?
Brakepads are normally sold per axle. Discs per wheel.

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Actually ATE makes 300 mm front PremiumOne rotors but they are available only in Europe.
Kova, could you dig up a part number on your end? . . . end of course the question would be do they match our Volvo spec (bolt pattern, etc...)

EDIT:
I found it going through their international site:
http://outcat-cs.tecdoc.net/ows/en/...CEDAA37701.ows_cs6.srv?view=VIndexFramesetJsp
ATE 24.0325-0162.1
looking now for an online place just to see how expensive it would be... something like this http://seekpart24.com/ate/brake-disc-24032501621?c=100032&at=13809

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have always ordered plain (non-slotted/drilled) rotors for my car and have never had an issue with warping/fading - even with relatively hard track use.
I use Carbotech front pads and stainless braided lines. I don't have them in my current V50 yet but that's the next (planned) modification.

In my 98 S70 - ON track - with the Carbotech XP10 compound the car stopped from 160-170 km/h to 30-40 km/h with ease, lap after lap after lap with NO fading issues.

My opinion is that the biggest bucks are spent on a quality PAD (Carbotech vs. Hawk vs. EBC - it's up to you) vs. rotor. I've had a few lapping cars (Volvo, civic, mazda 323 wagon) all of which have had Carbotechs and I will continue to support them as I have never had or heard of any issues.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2/3 yrs ago I did have a Volvo OEM rotor warping. I stopped washing the car right after I'm back from work... So far so good...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts