SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now getting signs of rotor runout for the second time in 48K miles (steering wheel shake when braking at higher speeds). The car is used for commuting so the brakes get some use, but I usually try to let the car roll after harder braking which is what I think should be done.

Aside from operator error which I think I've mitigated, what could be the root cause? Are the OEM rotors susceptible to runout? I can get the rotors replaced (again) under the maintenance plan at no cost but once I'm outside the plan would non-OEM brake parts be the best way to go?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
over tightening the lug nuts causing warping?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Disc Thickness Variation

Disc thickness variation is what you are feeling. It could be anything that contributes to the tolerance stackup in the brake corners, and can be related to your drive cycle as well.

That being said, I (and many others) have had good experiences with Akebono pads in Brembo rotors. In well over 100,000 miles on my last set (2001 V70 T5M), I had no judder (gotta love the engineering terms, judder is the pulsation you feel in the steering wheel when you brake). On the other car (1998 V70 GLT) which was exhibiting a lot of judder, 25,000 miles into a Akebono/Brembo setup, there is no judder evident.

I am now getting signs of rotor runout for the second time in 48K miles (steering wheel shake when braking at higher speeds). The car is used for commuting so the brakes get some use, but I usually try to let the car roll after harder braking which is what I think should be done.

Aside from operator error which I think I've mitigated, what could be the root cause? Are the OEM rotors susceptible to runout? I can get the rotors replaced (again) under the maintenance plan at no cost but once I'm outside the plan would non-OEM brake parts be the best way to go?
Landru
2001 V70 T5M 281,000 miles
1998 V70 GLT 145,000 miles
1996 850 131,000 miles (needs some work, not a runner right now)
2011 Ford Flex 12,000 miles

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I have had that & Other Issues also !

Brakes , Wow a Bunch of stuff , Usually Miss Torqued 1 or 2 Lugs , and Bad Brake Fluid .
Akebono pads Quality rotors , Deep Cryo'd also is a Help .

Drilled Rotors are just Loud , not much to be gained there . ( Little better cold & in the Rain ) .

I'm starting to Think this - Emergency Extra Peddle Pressure - Is BS !

I'm Hoping Volvo backs that Off , I wonder If it's adjustable in the Programing ?

If anything it will blow Fluid pass the O-Rings a few Drops well If fluid gets out - Air - can get in
IMOP . A Yearly Plan of Changing Fluid Helps . ( Bleeding the Fronts )

I Cooked My Fluid , and got My Rotors Purple on a 90 MPH : Out Braking a BMW a 335i into the Toll Booth - We Both - Jammed - On In , He
pulled around Me for an Out Braking Maneuver .
I was like - No Way - Buddy ! ( Going Deep ) - He Bailed at 60 ft Mark , as He realized
- It -
Wasn't Going to Happen .

Had to Bleed the Brakes .

My Rears Rotors Warp - just - looking at them , Very Lame ! ( GRrrrrrr ) :mad:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts