SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good brand rotor? I have had the front ones turned and they are warped again about a month later. I am hopeing that putting on a good quality set will help. And no I dont drive them that hard.
Just looking for ideas on the matter. THanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Rotor question (Zarb)

I looked at a post saying the stock volvo rotors are a good quality rotor. Im not sure what to do then. I get the wobble in the 60 to 40 mph area when braking.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts

Well the problem is that you had them turned. Just as a heads up volvo rotors can NOT be turned they can only be replaced like most european manufacturers. Ive yet to see a set of warped S40 rotors so it sounds like you may be braking hard and for long periods of time which is creating too much heat.

I would suggest looking into a set of slotted rotors. Brand preference seems to play a role in what people like. I personally have had success with Rotora, Power slot, and Brembo rotors on my other cars.

The key is to research where they get there rotors from and what they use to slot/drill them. Some use cheap rotors and half assed machinery which is why some say that there drilled rotors cracked on them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Rotor question (ForceFed Motorsports)

Can not be turned, is this a material reason? The mustang I had was like that. The original rotors are made of an odd material and should not be turned. So I ended up switching to a Cobra brake setup eventually.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Zarb »
What is a good brand rotor? I have had the front ones turned and they are warped again about a month later. I am hopeing that putting on a good quality set will help. And no I dont drive them that hard.
Just looking for ideas on the matter. THanks!

How many miles do you have on them? I have 32k on my 2006 and haven't had any issue with the rotors or brakes.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Re: Rotor question (ForceFed Motorsports)

Don't go with dimple-drilled rotors unless you're willing to put up with extra sound while braking. They make a whirring sound. Slots should be silent, though. I have the EBC dimple-drilled and slotted rotors. I like them, but could do without the extra noise.

·
Registered
957 Posts

Reason rotors can't be turned anymore is not so much a "Material Reason" but actually LACK of material reason. New rotors are cast & machined to have just enough rotor thickness so they can wear out ONE set of pads.
Lighter casting equals less $$$$, less weight for better MPG, and sells more replacement parts which equals MUCH MORE $$$$$$.

Plan Your driving and stops better or further in advance so You don't have to stop so hard. Think of ALL the $$$$ for parts/labor every time You put Your foot on the brake pedal. My S40 has right around 103,000 miles on the factory pads. I should check them again sometime, but at around 80,000 miles they were still at 50%, My miles were 99+% highway back then, now mostly city driving for the last 6000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.