SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is this the oft talked about warped rotor issue?

On the way from LA to San Francisco this weekend while descending from the Tejon Pass, with PilotAssist engaged, my XC40 started to shake. I initially thought it was due to uneven road surface but then the shake got more and more violent where it became what I felt was pretty unsafe so I took over. Then I noticed the shake only happens when I step on the brake. Once we got onto level ground, the shake started to ease up, but still noticeable.

My XC40 just did the 10k service last week @ 8k miles. I emailed my SA and he said it’s just the rotor overheating and added “we would need to inspect your brakes (pads and rotors, perform rotor run out measurements and confirm the vibration) before we can reach out to Volvo for permission to replace brake pads and rotors. The brake pads and rotors are not under warranty because they are subject to wear and tear [...] we don't replace brake rotors here that often unless they are worn below discard limits or driven to metal.”

I clearly need to have the rotors replaced because the shaking is still there. But I don’t feel good about paying $2k+ for a set of rotors at just 8k miles if they insist it’s just normal wear and tear?

Any advice?

Edit #1: I’ve added a few more hundred miles since the vibration eased up so I worry they won’t find any warping now so I’ll have to pay for the diagnostic.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
They replaced my front rotors and pads at 26k miles under warranty on my XC90

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
You're just receiving the normal response from a dealer - brakes are a wear and tear item but 8k miles for brakes is way, way too soon. I would bring the car in and have it looked at - I would imagine it would be covered. If the dealer won't cover it then take it somewhere else to have the brakes replaced - they don't deserve your business.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That sounds similar to an experience I had. On my XC60, I noticed the shake when applying the brake, more so when going down hills with 13K miles. I brought the vehicle in and they said the front rotors were warped. They did replace those under warranty which was nice. However, at 49K and 2 months out of warranty, the rear rotors are now bad. Given the experiences of some, I guess I should be happy the rears lasted that long, but brakes should not wear out faster than tires.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Yes, rotord that are worn out are not covered under warranty. However, these are not worn out. I've replaced plenty of rotors under warranty.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Is this the oft talked about warped rotor issue?

On the way from LA to San Francisco this weekend while descending from the Tejon Pass, with PilotAssist engaged, my XC40 started to shake. I initially thought it was due to uneven road surface but then the shake got more and more violent where it became what I felt was pretty unsafe so I took over. Then I noticed the shake only happens when I step on the brake. Once we got onto level ground, the shake started to ease up, but still noticeable.

My XC40 just did the 10k service last week @ 8k miles. I emailed my SA and he said it’s just the rotor overheating and added “we would need to inspect your brakes (pads and rotors, perform rotor run out measurements and confirm the vibration) before we can reach out to Volvo for permission to replace brake pads and rotors. The brake pads and rotors are not under warranty because they are subject to wear and tear [...] we don't replace brake rotors here that often unless they are worn below discard limits or driven to metal.”

I clearly need to have the rotors replaced because the shaking is still there. But I don’t feel good about paying $2k+ for a set of rotors at just 8k miles if they insist it’s just normal wear and tear?

Any advice?

Edit #1: I’ve added a few more hundred miles since the vibration eased up so I worry they won’t find any warping now so I’ll have to pay for the diagnostic.
We've had rotors (not pads) replaced on both our Volvos. The XC60 had 6800 miles and the rotors started warping. It now has 14500 and they are begining to warp again. The XC40 had rotors replaced at 3600. Not sure why this is happening. Haven't had any problems (except once at 20K) on our previous 8 Volvos with the same type of driving. I am not inclinced to have to pay every year or so for a new set of rotors. Don't think Volvo is going to keep replacing them for free. I guess I'll have to look into higher quality aftermarket rotors and have an Indy replace them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had my rotors replaced under warranty at about 6K miles. Pretty ridiculous that a luxury brand cheaps out like this in the hopes that people won't seek to get them fixed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had my front rotors replaced at 7,500 miles under warranty.

I’ll see how long this set lasts. If these don’t last very long and I have to replace on my own dime I’ll go to my independent mechanic and replace them there.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Should be covered under warranty. If dealer refuses, talk to another dealer. If still resistance reach out to Volvo Corporate and get them involved. 8K is absolutely unacceptable and premature wear. I doubt you are driving like a race car driving on day to day trips.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This brake pad thing and the warped rotors are an ongoing thing with Volvo. Its pathetic that in the 21st century a luxury brand is using CHEAP components on the brakes!!! I'm not planning on keeping this thing for the long run. I will definitely dump it before the warranty is up.

Audi Q3 Sportback is on my list.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Ha, go browse the Audi forums - "warped" rotors are a common complaint.

The cause is almost always poor driving habits. And, more commonly, the issue is high spots on the rotor from uneven pad deposits (e.g., braking hard repeatedly and then holding the brakes at a red light).

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ha, go browse the Audi forums - "warped" rotors are a common complaint.

The cause is almost always poor driving habits. And, more commonly, the issue is high spots on the rotor from uneven pad deposits (e.g., braking hard repeatedly and then holding the brakes at a red light).

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
I have owned many cars over the years but I have never seen any NEW car go thru rotors with such low miles on them. I agree that driving habits make a huge impact.

If Audi has a similar issue then all i can think of is that they use the same CRAPPY suppliers as Volvo.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have owned many cars over the years but I have never seen any NEW car go thru rotors with such low miles on them. I agree that driving habits make a huge impact.
My gf's '17 Honda Fit developed noticeable brake wobble around ~7k miles (she brakes hard, despite my suggestions otherwise). Had the front rotors turned (inexpensive) and properly bedded the brakes afterwards. No issues since and she's at ~60k miles.

Others factors are new technologies that increase brake wear, like PA (heavy rear brake usage) and auto-hold.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My gf's '17 Honda Fit developed noticeable brake wobble around ~7k miles (she brakes hard, despite my suggestions otherwise). Had the front rotors turned (inexpensive) and properly bedded the brakes afterwards. No issues since and she's at ~60k miles.

Others factors are new technologies that increase brake wear, like PA (heavy rear brake usage) and auto-hold.
Rotors get warped because of excessive heat. Riding the brakes, uneven pressure from the caliper pistons, uneven soft material pads are all causes for this but the technology hasn't changed, caliper mounted pads squeeze the rotor. It's still the same basic principle.
Its the material that's INFERIOR. And that SHOULD NOT be the case in a luxury car.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's extremely rare for rotors to actually be "warped". In almost all cases, rotors develop uneven pad deposits from poor driving habits.
Following this logic, should all cars someone who has poor driving habits develop this issue? Is that typically your observation?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Following this logic, should all cars someone who has poor driving habits develop this issue? Is that typically your observation?
It's a multivariate problem (driving habits, pad material, etc), not an absolute.

In your case, I assume PA usage contributed considerably. PA is not a proactive driver because it often rides the brakes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm seeing that starting with VIN 105382 the spec calls for 322mm rotors instead of 345mm when browsing parts on auto part stores websites. Seems like they made a change in the brake system although not really sure that a smaller rotor would fix things. Maybe something else was changed as well?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Just about 10k on my 19 and no issues with brakes.... I need to schedule my 10k service.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Just got my 20k inspection done. I don't have PA and rarely ride brakes, in fact I find brake riders pretty offensive so I intentionally do not ride brakes.

I've only had this for 15k miles. Warped rotors.

I've had 6 Volvos and when I dropped this one off picked up a new (80 miles on it) XC40 to test drive since the wife had thought she'd like to see it up close.

We decided that the XC40 was just too small or truthfully, less appealing than the XC60 so figured we'd might get another XC60 and then find out it needs brakes.

Talking with my salesperson, I'm finding out that this happens more often than it should and they figured it was due to driving habits.

I'm telling you I haven't changed my habits in 30 years and my first gen XC60 didn't need brakes like that.

I'm done.

No more Volvos. I'll take some Japanese Subaru over this cheap Chinese crap now.

D

O

N

E

1 - 20 of 23 Posts