SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My ROPS bars deployed during my accident in march, so I'm just now getting around to putting the top down on the car and playing with it. If they go off with the top up, the plastic caps don't fly away, which is nice. But the top will not go up or down with them up, it hits them.

This is actually the reason I got my car from a salvage auction in the first place; there was no frame damage at all, but since the top jammed on the way down they added a big hunk of money for a new top mechanism to the estimate. They estimated the repairs the first time at $18k and I fixed it for just under $5k.

So here's what they look like deployed:

Those mechanisms go all the way down to the trunk floor where they spread load to the frame. This is what it looks like down in the hole between the bars:

And to reset them, all you have to do is push this little ratchet lever over, and shove them back down till they latch with the release mechanism on the other side there.

It's not pyrotechnic or anything, just spring loaded and then that ratchet on the center pin keeps them from going back down. And the spring isn't super heavy or anything, it just pops them up quick. But believe it or not, those will support the weight of the car above you if it flips. Nice to know they're there. I just figured since most of you will never see this unless you wreck your car, I'd post this up so you don't have to.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Nice write up.
Mine deployed when I got rearended. The body shop didn't even know how to estimate to reset them. I just crawled back there and reset them myself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes that is a nice write up Thanks its nice to know how they work and reset

·
Registered
4 Posts
ROPS deployed

...And to reset them, all you have to do is push this little ratchet lever over, and shove them back down till they latch with the release mechanism on the other side there...

I skidded with my 2001 C70 on a wet and grimy road and ended up hitting the front end. Not much damage, bumper cover ruined, no airbags popped but the ROPS were deployed. Volvo quoted me 2 grand for replacement and 500 for labour ;-)
Imagine my relief when I read your post! Really made my day. Just to be sure though. Are they reset to redeploy if needed? Thanks very much

Marc

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, doing this writeup was the second time they deployed on my car. They were deployed on it when I bought it, I reset them, the light went out, and then 5 years later I hit someone and they deployed again. No other work needed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Very interesting. I wonder if they work the same for the newer C70s?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure. I do know they break the back window if the top is up when they go off. Different philosophy there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks!

Yes, doing this writeup was the second time they deployed on my car. They were deployed on it when I bought it, I reset them, the light went out, and then 5 years later I hit someone and they deployed again. No other work needed.
Thanks so much! This is a life saver! I will most likely manage to keep the repair at below 1k this way. ROPS are back in place. I found a indicator cover and a used Bumper cover and spare parts. Waiting to get a quote from the painters to get it resprayed and a few other dents taken care of.

I had the tyres looked at and confirmed that these were responsible. Very hard plastic like apprearance when cold. Chinese make. They should have been scrapped when I bought the car from the previous owner. I never thought to check age and make just looked for tread which was still ok. From now on I will not drive any tyre older than 5 years and always look to get ones with good ratings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok that looks good but how do you turn off the dash light so the top can go down? i took the battery out for a few weeks to install dash lights and now i have them installed and i get the rops dash light and the top will not go down. so any tricks to this thanks

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pushing them down reset the light for me. Either they aren't pushed down far enough or something else is damaged in the ROPS system and it won't pass a systems check. Sorry not to help more than that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks i don't have to worry about that problem anymore i just sold the car. but thanks. seems these cars are just too finicky for my taste. they may be a great car but you need awful deep pockets to keep them going and that i did not know before i have the misfortune of getting one. lesson learned.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear it, but yeah they can be a pain from time to time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts