SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bicycle, and I'm thinking about some sort of top storage solution.

Searching previous posts, I came up with this thread: http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000152.html

I don't have roof rails now, but if I get load bars, would I need them... or would it make more sense to just get roof rails and two cross bars? Or am I getting the terms load bars and cross bars confused?

Also, do any of you have experience with Volvo's Interior Bike holder?

Thanks,

-Bradley

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by daimoni:
I have a bicycle, and I'm thinking about some sort of top storage solution.

Searching previous posts, I came up with this thread: http://www.swedespeed.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000152.html

I don't have roof rails now, but if I get load bars, would I need them... or would it make more sense to just get roof rails and two cross bars? Or am I getting the terms load bars and cross bars confused?

Also, do any of you have experience with Volvo's Interior Bike holder?

Thanks,

-Bradley
The interior bike holder is kind of neat although it is not an option for me since I would have to remove the baby seat and that cannot be done (when we go biking we take him with us).

I don't like the Euro rails primarily because I like clean looks and it is extremely expensive (about $540 with the cross bars and installed).

I purchased the load bars, cost was below $140 and they are easy to put on and remove.

How is the car? First impressions?

Yannis

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:

The interior bike holder is kind of neat although it is not an option for me since I would have to remove the baby seat and that cannot be done (when we go biking we take him with us).

I don't like the Euro rails primarily because I like clean looks and it is extremely expensive (about $540 with the cross bars and installed).

I purchased the load bars, cost was below $140 and they are easy to put on and remove.

How is the car? First impressions?

Yannis

Thanks for the advice. I'm going through the Thule and Yakima sites right now. Interesting options... My Volvo dealer quoted me $400 for the roof rails. Are roof rails something that I could install myself? Still need doing research...

Ok, first impressions... well, I'm happy to be driving a car with headlights that work far better than my old 760. I had to come in early to work today... and left my house a little before 5am (still in darkness). Boy, do people drive fast early in the morning! But I was too tired to play with them so I just chilled at 70mph with the radio off, listening for rattles or other strange noises as I enjoyed the heated seats. I noticed a slight vibration (maybe in the right passenger seat or booster seat area?)... I'll check it out when I take a break.

So far so good though. It's a sweet machine. I hope to enjoy for a long time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just made an appointment for have factory roof rails ("euro rails") put on tomorrow morning. I actually like the sporty look... and it'll let me pretend I'm driving an XC.

I can worry about horiz. cross/load bars or whatever later.

Looks like I'm going to have to update my Signature again.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
with roof racks, you can feel more athletic just by having them on your roof!

the only thing I don't like about them is that they suck gas--esp if you have bikes on top.

I'm just jealous that you have a new turbo wagon. Must buy house first...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quote:

Originally posted by mpeng168:
with roof racks, you can feel more athletic just by having them on your roof!

the only thing I don't like about them is that they suck gas--esp if you have bikes on top.

I'm just jealous that you have a new turbo wagon. Must buy house first...
Well, I got the roof rails installed. And I just took a few pictures... but I realized I got my dumb thumb in the way. Duh. Will try again after lunch. Thanks the gods for digital cameras.

Regarding athletic... the only way I'll feel athletic is when I put my bike on the rack and drive someplace where I can ride. Heh. Heh.

Buying a house was the only way I could afford to get the T5. Equity is a marvelous thing. And so is getting to my job in relative safety.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A couple of things I learned on the way to the trailhead: Take advantage of your long roof line and use fork mounts and short-tray bike holders--very sano looking. Mount the bikes backwards at the far end of the roof to almost eliminate wind noise and avoid interference from the rear wing when the hatch is opened. [You did get a rear wing, didn't you?] Be sure to use an old toeclip strap as an additional safety strap on the rear wheel tray now in front--you don't want that tray to release. The backwards approach also minimizes accumulation of bug heads on bars and levers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quote:

Originally posted by sondagsakare:
A couple of things I learned on the way to the trailhead: Take advantage of your long roof line and use fork mounts and short-tray bike holders--very sano looking. Mount the bikes backwards at the far end of the roof to almost eliminate wind noise and avoid interference from the rear wing when the hatch is opened. [You did get a rear wing, didn't you?] Be sure to use an old toeclip strap as an additional safety strap on the rear wheel tray now in front--you don't want that tray to release. The backwards approach also minimizes accumulation of bug heads on bars and levers.
I don't have a rear wing, but I'm very interested in 'the backwards approach'. Thanks for the tip!
I'll have to give that a try when I get a bike rack.

Still trying to decide between the bike rack and load bars from Volvo (made by Thule) or if I just want to go with non-Volvo branded Thule (more options on their website) or if I should go with Yakima.

Both Thule and Yakima seem to make a very good product. I just want to get the one that will keep my road bike the most secure.

Opinions, anyone?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts