SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took possession of a 2011 XC60 R-Design and really like the vehicle. One issue that I noticed with alot of these vehicles is the blistering/chipping/peeling clear coat on the roof rails. My vehicle has one roof rail with peeling clear coat. Any suggestion about repairing this peeling clear coat would be greatly appreciated.

I am considering trying to remove as much of the peeling clear coat as possible and then spraying it with Dupli-Color DA1692 Crystal Clear 12Â*Clear Coat. Yet the last thing I would want is for the vehicle to look ghetto after this repair.

Any ideas about how to remove the roof rail itself?

Thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I recently took possession of a 2011 XC60 R-Design and really like the vehicle. One issue that I noticed with alot of these vehicles is the blistering/chipping/peeling clear coat on the roof rails. My vehicle has one roof rail with peeling clear coat. Any suggestion about repairing this peeling clear coat would be greatly appreciated.

I am considering trying to remove as much of the peeling clear coat as possible and then spraying it with Dupli-Color DA1692 Crystal Clear 12Â*Clear Coat. Yet the last thing I would want is for the vehicle to look ghetto after this repair.

Any ideas about how to remove the roof rail itself?

Thank you!
I ended up having the rails painted while on the vehicle. $150 each, $300 total. Had another body shop quote me $3,500 to remove, paint the rails and reinstall... outrageous!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I have a 2010 passion red R Design doing the rail clearcoat shed. I'm thinking I might paint them black, if not then I'll do silver. I guess I'll mask, sand, and then do etching primer. If the darker primer looks OK then I can go black.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe try PlastiDipping it first to see if you like it? If you don't like it, just peel it off and then spray it silver again...just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts