SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a roof rack for my four-door Amazon to hold a canoe. It would be great if it has a somewhat simple or vintage look to it, but it doesn't have to be one of those original ones.

Anyone have a recommendation?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've been using Quik-N-Easy racks for canoes on Volvos for ~40 years (Old Town Tripper, H2Pro, BlueHoles).
Indestructible, easily adjustable, still the best thing out there to use with gutters...

And easy to find...e.g. http://www.nrs.com/product/3200/quick-n-easy-car-top-racks-set

AND, I've got an extra unused set, as I always seem to get a second one when I find something that lasts forever...

Michael

·
Registered
101 Posts
I too have used the NRS systems. bolted up some 0.25" thick 1" aluminum square bars. Very sturdy setup.

I have since moved to the elegant and exceedingly expensive classic rack

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Thule works and lots of different fittings. I have Kayak rather than canoe carriers (and a couple of bike holders).

Durable. Not cheap and definitely not vintage looking.

Carbonmike's classic rack looks spiffy. I would be afraid to use it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thule works and lots of different fittings. I have Kayak rather than canoe carriers (and a couple of bike holders).

Durable. Not cheap and definitely not vintage looking.

Carbonmike's classic rack looks spiffy. I would be afraid to use it!
I use the crap out of it. Added a fork mount bike rack, hauls bikes several times per week. I put pipe insulation on the bars and use it to haul lumber and long runs of exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Guys;

The Quick-N-Easy Car Top Racks that Micheal recommend are inexpensive...easy-on and off with toggle clamps...and because they use standard round tubing, it's simple to replace tubing or make custom mounts...just use a U-Clamp and clamp on whatever your little heart desires...I also like the Thule system for vehicles with gutters...a bit pricier, they offer add-on securing setups for everything from a cartop box, to lumber, to skis, to bikes, to your uncle's Olaf's Barkalounger.

Carbonmike; Your wagon is GORGEOUS!...it's identical to and certainly reminds me of my first car (one that got away as they say)...your car didn't come from Connecticut did it? (If it did, can I come and visit it?)

tbcc; Also check with the VW crowd...I have a really nice vintage looking rack (I believe intended) for a Bug...one of those with a network of tubes raised above the vehicle roof...you could fit most of your worldly possessions on that for leaving the country...

Cheers

·
Registered
401 Posts
Another OEM wagon rack, tho' boatwise only suitable for little rubber rafts...
Works for surfboard.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Michael;

Now you're just teasing me with your beautiful Amazon wagon! ...but that rack on it reminds me of a 145 OE rack I have (it is spare and available), but I would agree that because those corner posts basically hinge, it is definitely unsuited for a heavy canoe load.

Cheers

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ron, thanks as always for your perspective, as it has perhaps raised more questions that only inquiring minds might want to know.

My late '60s Accessories Catalogues show two very similar-but-not-identical-style permanently attached roof racks, one for Amazon and one for 145. The 145 rack has a third (center) pair of mounting feet to support the rails and slats; my rack is four-footed...
Also my rack is 4-slatted; the 145 one is 5-slatted.

Measure the # of feet and slats on your rack and get back to me...
Best, Michael

·
Registered
29 Posts
re: Roof Rack

Ron, thanks as always for your perspective, as it has perhaps raised more questions that only inquiring minds might want to know.

My late '60s Accessories Catalogues show two very similar-but-not-identical-style permanently attached roof racks, one for Amazon and one for 145. The 145 rack has a third (center) pair of mounting feet to support the rails and slats; my rack is four-footed...
Also my rack is 4-slatted; the 145 one is 5-slatted.

Measure the # of feet and slats on your rack and get back to me...
Best, Michael
For anyone interested - I have an identical factory rack like Michael's (northNH) coming off my '66 Amazon wagon. All original, with some aged patina.
Dave

·
Registered
181 Posts
Quick and Easy. Ahhhh the memories. Used those back in the 80's on an Audi 5+5 for my hang glider. Made an aluminum frame that bolted to the front bumper to pick up the front load. All that stuff long gone. Didn't know they even made these clamps anymore.

Me thinks I'll pick up a 4-some and make me a roof rack for my '66 130. Who knows what one could conjur hauling on such a fine and unique vehicle.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Michael;

Three Feet on a side (so 6 total) and 5 slats...there are 3 cross-bands between the feet which locate the Slats. Again, I'm fairly certain it came from a 145.

Cheese!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Michael;

Three Feet on a side (so 6 total) and 5 slats...there are 3 cross-bands between the feet which locate the Slats. Again, I'm fairly certain it came from a 245.

Cheese!

·
Registered
401 Posts
"145, 245, Cheese!..."
Seems it took you 3 weeks to count the feet and slats...
Too much wine with the cheese?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts