SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i was thinking about installing a roof mounted light bar but the only thing is the mounts that i found would need little modifications made to them since they are for a truck
These are the mounts

And these are the light bars I was looking at

I was thinking about gettin the mounts in the first picture and the 52" light bar
I want to know what your guys thoughts are about this idea i kno it kinda over kill on light but i like driving at night

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
For a car I would stick with bumper mounting. Roof mounting tends to reflect quite a bit off the hood and windshield. Ok for slow speed off road but horrible for on road. Even with mine pointed up a notch from vertical it still reflects quite a bit.

You can see how much light is hitting my bumper bar.

Hood reflection

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have a light bar in behind my grill

I just wander how the glare would be off my hood being that the carbonfiber vinyl wrap I have on it is like a flat black without a clearcoat so it isnt real shiny and when im sitting back in the seat i cant really see the hood

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think it would still be pretty bad. My hood is black and the paint is in really bad shape (problem with the factory black paint) and effectively isnt much different from yours. I dont get a lot of actual glare but it does light it up as well as sort of illuminating the windshield. It gets distracting. Havent used mine very much so far though, mostly just headlights and lights on my bumper.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn i really want to get one and install it but im jus worried about the glare on the windshield cause i like to do alot of fast driving at night and i reall want the brighter light

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im wandering if i do decide to get it and i would mount it back further on the roof if the glare on the windshield and the hood would be as bad

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I already have a light bar in behind my grill

I just wander how the glare would be off my hood being that the carbonfiber vinyl wrap I have on it is like a flat black without a clearcoat so it isnt real shiny and when im sitting back in the seat i cant really see the hood

That thing looks like it should have some Jurassic park stickers on the side lol wicked.

What if you mounted it on some roof racks so you could move it around. Or even have one facing behind just for sh**sand giggles lol

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
416 Posts
Could you put a small plate under the lower lights to deflect/block some of the light going to the bonnet /windscreen

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could you put a small plate under the lower lights to deflect/block some of the light going to the bonnet /windscreen

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I dont see why ya couldnt mount a plate/deflector on the bottom of the light bar in theory it should work

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So i decided to get the light bar and mount it the mount i made are only temporary
and this is the switch pack i got for both lightbars

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea unfortunately but i rarely open it like that

·
Registered
199 Posts
How does much light do you have with everything on? Video or picture would be great!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just took the picture now while driving

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So i decided to get the light bar and mount it the mount i made are only temporary
and this is the switch pack i got for both lightbars

If you look at my previous post from earlier the switch all the way to the left is an on off switch for both bars and a switch in the middle is for the high beam control and the one all the way to the right is so I can select to have just the roof light bar, both of them or the one in my grill

·
Registered
199 Posts
Holy schnikeys that's a lot of light!!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea it is!!! Its great though because you can see everything on and off the road into the woods

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I used 2 relays, 2 diodes and a bunch of wire i can take a pic of the diagram i went off of

1 - 20 of 22 Posts